“Mum, is red your favourite colour? Because you often wear red.”
I do wear red often. However, if I had to pick just one colour as a favourite, it would actually be blue. But I like wearing red.
Red is bold and bright.
Red is happening and vibrant.
Red makes me feel confident and alive.
So I like wearing red.
When I’m stuck in a tracksuit rut, it helps to fall back on the colour I love to wear. And red is that colour for me. My zing colour (borrowing a word from Law & Shoes). Over time, I’ve collected many red accessories…a red bag, belt, necklace, ring, shoes, scarf, bolero and earrings. When I need to whip an outfit together, I wear black my classic and comfy black pants, a black top and team it with 1-4 red accessories items.
This can work with any bright or primary colour, and by balancing the colour with black or neutrals, it’s not overpowering, just uplifting. For a rough guide, keep 80% or the outfit black or neutral and make up the other 20% with your zing colour.
If you are in a tracksuit rut, pick a colour you like to wear and be on the lookout for accessories. Try a second hand shop, markets or accessory shops like Diva and Equip. Team the accessories with black or neutrals for a no-brainer outfit that you’ll feel good in.
Fashion for me is not about focusing on the outward appearance or following trends. Instead it’s about doing the best with what I’ve got, being me through clothes and enjoying what I wear. It’s Loving the Moment with my clothes.
I like wearing red. What colour do you like to wear? Do you find yourself in a tracksuit rut sometimes?