Oh, if I could go back in time, I would decorate my son’s entire nursery with vintage paper boats. They are adorable!
I love vintage paper, and books, so I combined the two to make a vintage paper boat garland today. It’s simple to put together and costs almost nothing. A paper boat garland can be used to decorate a nursery, room or for birthday party decorations.
Vintage book (I purchased one from a thrift shop for 50 cents)
Twine (I used divine twine)
1. Check the book to see if it’s rare and worth a fortune (unlikely but possible). Check this post on how to do it: How to Check What an Old Book is Worth.
2. Carefully rip about 10 pages out of the book.
3. Fold each piece of vintage paper into a boat. The below video shows how to make an origami paper boat.
4. Using a large needle, thread the boats on to the twine. There are two different ways to do this.
i) Horizontal Vintage Paper Boat Garland
- Thread the twine through the point of the paper boat. Hang horizontally over a book case, door frame, window or in the bedroom.
ii) Vertical Vintage Paper Boat Feature
- Thread the twine, from the bottom of the boat, through the top point.
- Place a piece of sticky tape underneath where you want the boat to stay. This way, the boat won’t slip down the twine (you won’t see the sticky tape because it sits inside the boat).
- Hang in a bedroom, on the side of a bookcase or use as a ceiling mobile.
Hmm, this makes me wish I read the book!