Festive Fashion

Sponsored by BIG W

“It was the highlight of my day,” my husband said later that evening.  I was surprised at this comment.

“Really?” I thought he was joking.

“I’m serious,” he responded.  “I loved seeing you in all those outfits. “

Ha! Sweet!

My gracious husband was the photographer for this post. I’m talking about festive fashion.  For me, this summer season is all about variety and I need my clothes to keep up.   There are long lazy days at home with the kids, day trips exploring, grocery shopping with four small people in tow, hanging out with my sisters, meeting with friends, and break up parties at night.

A few months back, I did another fashion related post with BIG W about refreshing my spring wardrobe. I’m thrilled with how the clothes fit around my life. I’m especially impressed with the quality of Aussie designer Peter Morrissey‘s label for BIG W.  This dress has become one of my staples – I wear it almost on a weekly basis and it looks as good as the day I purchased it; it’s gone through many washes without loss of colour or stretch.  (You read my interview with Peter Morrissey here.)

I already have a good variety of clothes at the moment; the only thing I needed was a pair of shorts and a few sleeveless shirts/singlets.  To spruce up things for the festive season, I often inject the sparkle with accessories in silver, gold, black, brown or pewter.  This means I look through my cupboard for existing items in my chosen highlight and then sometime add a few new pieces.

I chose silver this time because it goes with so much of my clothes and has that Christmassy feel. I raided BIG W in the search for silver, and I found plenty in the form of summer shoes, necklaces, clips, earrings, bangles and bags.

silver shoes

silver heart necklace

silver necklace

silver bracelet

Accessories

Some ways I utilise my accessories:

– Wear a few different necklaces together at different lengths to give that layered look.

– bangles on one arm only, or both

– Adjust a long necklace in length by tying a lose knot at the back

– A black dress is always a winner for parties. Couple with heaps of silver sparkle for a fun look

– If you have small children and necklaces aren’t easy to wear (because you’re constantly being stranged!), stick to bangles for that added bling

necklace stack

Shorts!

Because I was impressed with the Peter Morrissey range, I went back to have a look again and found these adorable spotted shorts ($20) – the perfect length —- and they come with a green belt.  The singlet top was $5, shoes $15 and necklace $13. Not bad for a summer outfit!   I’m wearing a bracelet I already had here too.

Peter Morrissey Shorts from BIG W

If you’re interested in this library room I’m in, there are feature pics in this post: A Wall Bookcase

In this series of posts I’m doing with BIG W, the focus is about utilising what you already have by highlighting them with a few festive items.  I tend to group the type of clothes I have in terms of how I use them and where I typically wear them. This makes it quick and easy for me to fit the clothes around what I’m doing.

Casual

Items: shorts and knee-length skirts that can be coupled with different tops

Wear: shopping, meeting with friends, beach, day trips

summer fashion

Wearing

1. Peter Morrissey Shorts $20 (with green belt), white singlet top $5, necklace stack $13, bracelets on each arm $10, silver shoes $15
  2. As above with a green top I had in my cupboard for a different look

Relaxed

Items: slacks, maxi skirt, jeans, ¾ pants, flowy tops, singlets, tshirts.

Wear: shopping, meeting with friends, day trips, lounging, home days

summer fashion

Wearing

1. Emerson chambray love heart top $19, white jeans, silver bangles $10, silver earrings $6.35 (pack of 3), silver shoes $15.
  2. Emerson white button up top, maxi skirt $19, drop crystal necklace $13, silver bangles $10, silver stud earring $6.35 (pack of 3), silver shoes $15

Party

Items: A nice going-out dress. A LBD always a winner. Red is fun and festive

Wear: parties, break-ups, get-togthers. Christmas

summer fashion

Wearing

1. Red knit dress (had for about 5 years), tear drop crystal necklace (tie up in length) $13, bracelet stack on one arm $10, silver shoes $15, hoop earrings.
  2. Black dress with see-through sleeves (from Forever New a few years ago), long heart crystal necklace $13, black shoes, silver earrings $6.35 (pack of three)

Floral & Summery

Items: Light summery dresses that can be dressed up or down

Wear: hot summer days, parties, going out for dinner, shops, beach….anytime I want to feel extra feminine.

summer fashion

Wearing

1. Floral dress (Jeans West), all gold accessories this time instead of silver, Emerson cardi, nude shoes
  2. Floral dress (found in a little boutique), drop crystal necklace $13, purple shoes, bracelet stack on one arm $10, silver earrings $6.35 (pack of three)

Hair

I have two main styles that are my go-to and they both take under 5 minutes (in my hair) to do.

Down side-part style

1. Blow dry hair and straighten with a hair straighter.
  2. Part to one side and use a clip or a 5 or 6 bobby pin together to hold in place.  Look for silver, gold or other coloured bobby pins for an easy and effective look.

bobby pin hair sytle

Upstyle

This is the hairstyle I often do if I’m going out. It only takes a few minutes.

upstyle hair style

It looks good with a clip or simple without any embellishment too.

easy up style

How to

Make up

When I have the inspiration of a party or event coming up, I try something new with my make-up.  Just one small new thing, and this becomes my thing for the season.  I went with a cat-eye liner look with a navy edge. Not too bad for a first effort.  Apart from the liner, I’ve kept it pretty simple in the eye area so I can get away with bright lips!

cat eye make up

It’s all about silver for me this season. I enjoy throwing sparkle on before I go out and I can dress up pretty much anything!

You Might Also Like...

70 Comments

Alexandra W
    December 8, 2013 at 10:40 am

My fashion tip for summer,,,, stay hydrated for beautiful skin and wear Colors 😀

Victoria S
    December 8, 2013 at 2:28 pm

My fashion tip for summer is to master a few braids, top knots or other updos that work for you hair…that way your hair is off your neck, but you still look super festive!

AmberB
    December 8, 2013 at 8:09 pm

My fashion tip – wear whatever you want! Don’t be afraid to be an individual – if you love what you are wearing, then your confidence is going to shine through 🙂

Rin
    December 8, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Hat and sunnies! Learnt that the hard way.
    I think I’d like those spotty shorts though!

Shane Lawrence
    December 9, 2013 at 6:48 am

Classic white linen dress and white linen Pants !!! Nothing better than fresh and Clean !!! Dress up with festive colours or statement Jewellry !!loving your style !!! So effortless and Oh so practical ( love the affordability just goes to show you don’t have to spend a fortune to look great!!!

Lea
    December 9, 2013 at 7:19 am

I am not exactly a fashionista, but i say “Keep it simple”

Karli
    December 9, 2013 at 7:22 am

Must say I have never bought clothes from Big W, even though I do go there often, its never for myself, and I havn’t had a chance to even look ( been in AUS for 2 years)!

Next time im in there, I will definitely have a look through, personally wasn’t fussed on their clothes, but I have a new outlook on them now, Thanks! 🙂

Karli
      December 9, 2013 at 7:23 am

My tip, Be comfortable, practical and bright!

Cherie Amor
    December 9, 2013 at 7:24 am

Water….Sunscreen…Hat…Sunglasses!! And of course it is all about attitude! Just be HAPPY!

mindy
    December 9, 2013 at 7:24 am

Since having bub #2 and wearing a lot of black during my pregnancy I have made a little commitment to myself to wear colour! No more black!

Claire
    December 9, 2013 at 7:27 am

Love the necklaces idea I have so many!!

Megan
    December 9, 2013 at 7:27 am

My fashion tip is that you dont need to spend alot of $$$ to look great.. look around first and find some great clothes for less dollars!

Liz
    December 9, 2013 at 7:30 am

Be comfortable in your own skin – love your body. Easier said than done I know, I have a severely malformed right shoulder as a result of bone cancer. I have spent so many years hiding it and being hot over Christmas – this year I am wearing strappy and cool because as my kids have taught me, my scars are a badge of honour, a sign of survival. No shame in that.

Sarah Jenner
    December 9, 2013 at 7:44 am

Don’t underestimate the importance of being comfortable. This is a busy time of year so make sure that everything you wear including your outfit, accessories and of course your shoes is as comfortable as it is fashionable

Amy
    December 9, 2013 at 7:44 am

My tip is to wear necklaces that are a little longer to take away from a bigger bust.

Louise Thomsen
    December 9, 2013 at 7:53 am

Invest in a great pair of swimmers and a throw over cover! I practically live in my swimmers during the summer months :).

Thanks for the great tips and I also LOVE those spotty shorts!

Sonia
    December 9, 2013 at 8:00 am

Choose comfortable clothing!

francis bosman
    December 9, 2013 at 8:07 am

Not a fashionista but agree with everyone else on the “comfortable” idea and I always think confidence and a smile goes a long way.

Karla Oleinikoff
    December 9, 2013 at 8:10 am

Be comfortable in what you’re wearing, and have fun!

Natasha Coster
    December 9, 2013 at 8:20 am

Wear what makes you happy and you will glow. Don’t be afraid of trying things that you’ve never considered before, you never know and above all be comfortable–especially for fitting that extra trifle in 🙂

Amanda Gerhardy
    December 9, 2013 at 8:46 am

My fashion tip for summer is to spoil yourself with a super funky top and dress it up or down with jewelry and comfy bottoms. And grab a new pair of havianas!!

Leanne
    December 9, 2013 at 9:44 am

I like to buy a new summer handbag in a funky bright colour. It says summer and holidays to me and is a great way of adding “summer” to your existing wardrobe.
    I also love picking up great summer tops from Big W and seeing the shock on people’s face when the compliment them and I reply “it’s from Big W”. Cheap can still look good and be comfy 🙂

Jacqui
    December 9, 2013 at 9:50 am

Be cool and comfortable 🙂

Laura Waddell
    December 9, 2013 at 9:50 am

Summer fashion should be cool and comfortable, especially for us mums! Find whatever works for you, add a large, groovy bag in place of a daggy old nappy bag, a pair of comfortable flats/sandals and rock that style!

Joanne C
    December 9, 2013 at 9:54 am

Bronzer, a lovely glow is beautiful for summer

Shan Tee Rickus
    December 9, 2013 at 10:26 am

For that Summer Christmas heat,
    A Maxi Dress is key!
    My favourite Christmas fashion,
    Perfectly suited just for me.

Big W’s range is so extensive,
    For the tall, short or petite.
    In shades that range from bright,
    And every colour in between.

On the actual day of giving,
    To get into the spirit.
    We all dress in our festive,
    T shirts, skirts and trinkets.

From Christmas tees for Dad,
    To onesies for your babes.
    Big W has the perfect,
    Xmas merchandise for the day!

The best part of it all,
    Is that Big W caters for Mums!
    Who are struggling to control,
    Those baby making tums!

To hide my rounded hips,
    And my battle scars from labour.
    I shop from the Plus Size range.
    Because my figure, it does favour!

Beautiful floral tanks.
    Perhaps the Emerson Frill Dress?
    Thanks to Big W on Christmas Day…
    I’m definitely going to IMPRESS!

Rebecca
    December 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

My #1 tip is just because it is in fashion, doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to wear it! If a colour or style isn’t ‘you’ then don’t buy it because you won’t end up liking it. Adapt the fashions to suit you. If you like looking at other people’s outfits and adapting them, try looking for people with a similar body type/ colouring to you.
    That said, don’t be afraid to try new things and embrace colour.

Jenny S
    December 9, 2013 at 11:07 am

Clothes with comfort, value and quality that goes the extra mile will never ever go out of style… Something light and breezy, that’s not too squeezy will make looking good during the festive season easy! 🙂

Rachel
    December 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Stay cool and you’ll look refreshed. Wear primer with sunscreen followed by oil free makeup. You could be dressed to the nines but destroy the look with sweaty, runny makeup. Mix and match loose layered clothing. Add bling and coloured scarves to highlight with colour.

Mary Preston
    December 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Natural fibres and comfort all the way.

Stephanie Veljanovska
    December 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Love to add bright metallic accessories to add some Sparkle to the Holiday season.

Mel
    December 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Ditch the heels this festive season and invest in some sparkly flats! They dress up any outfit and you don’t need to worry about sinking in the grass or using your balance after one too many glasses of Christmas punch! 🙂

Jacinta Hynam
    December 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

My number one fashion tip is sunscreen! You can have the perfect dress, the perfect shoes, the perfect accessories but nothing looks good with sunburn!

Sharon
    December 10, 2013 at 9:27 am

My tip is to wear comfortable outfits that require no fuss … and comfortable shoes,too! An easy breezy hairstyle is a must have as well- I like to do up my hair as you show in the video then add fun little ‘baubles’ that I find in amongst the decorations for the season! Most of all, keep calm and relaxed so you can smile, feel happy, and enjoy your holidays!

Jennifer B.
    December 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Wear stylish ballet flats for all-day comfort, glam up your smiling face with sparkling earrings and leave the reindeer antlers at home!

soni
    December 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Avoid black! Black does not look good in summer!

Nicole Kent
    December 10, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Get a great summer maxi dress that you can take from day to night easily. It will be your best friend throughout the hectic party season!

Diana O
    December 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Loose fitting, cool and casual. This way you’re comfortable.

Di
    December 10, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Less is more, keep things simple.

Lady Tiffany
    December 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

If going visiting always take a change of clothes ie: casual comfy ones incase an impromptu game of back yard cricket or a picnic etc…I also carry a pair of bathes, towel and casual low heeled shoes…be prepared is my motto…

Fiona
    December 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Keep it simple, accessories to change a look and be comfortable!

Sandra
    December 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Wear colours and clothes that flatter you.

Sally G
    December 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Wear bright coloured jewelry teamed with a bright, bold coloured bag for a hot summer look.

Catherine Pitt
    December 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Keep it simple and always wear a funky hat.

Karina W
    December 10, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Keep it light and airy so you don’t overheat!

Aaron Kaczmarczyk
    December 10, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Don’t let your girlfriend dress you up as a hippy, it just puts you in a world of hurt…

Jessica
    December 10, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Make sure to have all your toes nicely painted so you can always be ready and prepared to put those gorgeous summer shoes on :/)

Ariel Richardson
    December 11, 2013 at 3:15 am

Leave black where it belongs. In winter. Summer is the time for colour and lots of it.

mellie jane
    December 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Be comfortable in light clothing that keeps you covered up

Merryl Donn
    December 12, 2013 at 7:40 am

Light colourful clothes that are comfortable get me through summer.

Kyles
    December 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Best tip for festive dressing? Be comfortable! Whatever that is for you…snug silhouette/breezy and diaphanous/slouchy and ubercool…if you feel comfortable, you’ll look great.
    Now I just need to find something that fits after bilateral mastectomies – no more plunging necklines for me. 🙁

1 2