These loom bands are huge at the moment and my kids have been enjoying making brackets and other creations with the tiny elastic bands. They are a great activity to take with you when travelling or to keep kids occupied while waiting for appointments or other things. We do have a proper loom band maker, but I also made up a travel rainbow loom kit for the kids that’s small and easy to carry all in one piece.
Rainbow Loom Band Tavel Kit
Craft Organiser (with one longer section) – you can find these at craft and discount stores
Rainbow loom bands – separate colours into sections
2 small pencils
S & C clips
Make A Fish Tail Loom Band Bracelet with 2 Pencils
In the kit, we include 2 small pencils so it’s easy and portable.
1. Place first loom band over the 1st pencil, twist to create a figure 8, and place the loop over the 2nd pencil.
2. Get another band and place over both pencils (without twisting).
3. Repeat with another band so you have three bands (lines) on each pencil.
4. Take the bottom band (blue in this case) lift past the other 2 bands, over the top of the pencil.
5. Drop into the middle.
6. Repeat with the other side.
7. That’s the first one done.
8. Place another loom band over both pencils (so again you have three lines) and repeat the process. Keep going until you have the length you want for the bracelet.
9. To finish it off, lift the bottom band over into the middle.
10. Then repeat so you are left with only 1 band.
11. Carefully remove the last loops off the pencil, keeping hold of the loops, and use a C or S clip to join the ends together to form a bracelet.
This process can also be done with 2 fingers (instead of pencils) but it’s easy to come back to it when you use pencils.
My daughter demonstrates this process in the video below.