0

Domestic Disasters

Just in case you were wondering what happens when you use regular dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher: This.  

Domestic Disasters
This is just one example of my many domestic disasters. Yeah, won’t be doing that again when I run out of tablets. What WAS I thinking?! Not my brightest moment. I’ve burnt tea towels, mistook cornflour for icing sugar, used bleach on a lamanex sink counter (which turns it yellow) and then there was this incident…

It was the in the early years of my marriage, and we lived away from both our families.  Over the December uni break, we decided to spend a chunk of 6 weeks with our families. We organised the house for going away for an extensive period…and just before we were about to leave, we decided to turn the power off to conserve energy.  We emptied the fridge so it was all good.   Off we went, spent Christmas away, and when we came back, we immediately turned the power on again and got back into our suburban life.  But there was this terrible smell somewhere in the house and it took us a while to work out where it was coming from.

Then…we remembered the chest freezer. Oh dear! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!  It was WORST SMELL of rotten meat that had — when we turned the power back on — been re frozen again. Ack! It was horrible! Cleaning it out was horrendous. I had the top layer of my beautiful wedding cake in the freezer too..

Daisy Wedding Cake
(our wedding was in the pre-digital age)

daisy Wedding Cake

Have you had any domestic disasters?

You Might Also Like...

7 Comments

  • Reply
    Polly
    July 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm

    When we were first married, I happily put our dinner into the new crockpot we had gotten as a wedding present. I came back to check on it at dinnertime six hours later. Turns out it was broken, and our dinner was still raw — we ordered pizza.

  • Reply
    Marina
    July 27, 2014 at 10:50 pm

    I have had two regular disasters – burning rice and making ‘fail cakes’. The fabulous title my kids gave me after I attempted to make a chocolate coated jelly cake. I forgot to line the bowl first and used quickset jelly (yuk). Needless to say, the kids had the biggest laugh when I tried to turn it out.
    The rice? Well I’ve learnt, boil the water, pop a lid on and turn it off. Thanks to Jamie Oliver, it’s been a while since I’ve had to toss out a pot of rice πŸ˜‰ Oh, and if anyone reading this has a burnt pot, leave it out in the sunshine for a day or two and it makes the burnt bits just scrape off easily πŸ™‚

    • Reply
      Kelly Be A Fun Mum
      July 28, 2014 at 8:36 am

      Good to know. Good to know.

      I just remembered another epic failure. I put hot curlers on (pre kids when I had time to do such things) to do my hair before we went away for a holiday. But then I forgot about them…and left them on for a week! Glad I didn’t burn the house down!

  • Reply
    Renee
    August 5, 2014 at 11:55 am

    Oh dear, were to start….. lol….. every year I have a least one significant laundry disaster & in my sleep deprived state throw a ‘red’ item in with the whites. My husband loves wearing pink to work…. NOT.

    When I was a new graduate, I had the fire brigade rock up at work (a museum mind you), because I’d burnt microwave popcorn & set off all the fire alarms in the building. We had to escort everyone outside and wait for clearance before we could re-enter. Excellent start to a career in Museums! I’m VERY careful with using the microwave at work now πŸ˜‰

  • Reply
    Shirley
    August 8, 2014 at 5:17 pm

    Yes, and I have done exactly that in the dishwasher, too. And I won’t mention leaving the lid off the blender then making a chocolate milkshake. Sigh πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply