Homemade muesli bars are a fantastic lunch box option and can be healthier than the store bought variety. At least you know what is going into them and you can alter the ingredients to suit the tastes of your children. You can add lots of extra goodness such as pepitas and chia seeds but I have stuck to a simple recipe that is a winner every time.
I have been making these for many years and are a regular item in my children’s lunch boxes. They don’t take very long to make a tray and it is a lot more cost effective than buying them at the supermarket.
I thought this recipe would be well received given we are gearing up for back to school and parents are always on the lookout for easy lunch box items. Give them a go and I hope you love them as much as we do.
Amanda (Simple home cook)
MUESLI BARS (nut free)
½ cup honey
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 cup rice bubbles
1 cup sultanas
½ cup chopped apricots
½ cup desiccated coconut
¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a slice tin (18 x 28cm) with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey and butter. Stir over med heat until butter is melted. Reduce to a simmer for 5 mins without stirring.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over honey syrup and stir to combine.
- Tip mixture into slice tin and press down firmly. I put a sheet of baking paper on top of mixture and press down hard with both hands.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 mins or until golden. Allow to cool slightly then refrigerate to set. This is important because if you try to cut it straight from the oven, it will fall apart. It must be set in the fridge and overnight is best.
- Once hard, cut to size. Store in fridge in airtight container.
@lissyjuniper on Instagram has converted this recipe into a FODMAP friendly one, and below are the ingredients (same method with substitute ingredients):
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 125 grams coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cupe gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups brown puffed rice
- 1/4 cup mix of chia seeds activated bikinis & amaranth
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup preservative free apricots & cranberries
- 1/2 desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds