Chocolate muffins are a great lunch box filler for the kids and especially since these are packed with zucchini. My kids love these muffins but I made sure they ate them and told me that they loved them first – before telling them what the special ingredient was. They were very surprised but kept asking for them so they are a winner in my house. I hope your family enjoy them too.
Amanda (Simple home cook)
Choc Zucchini Muffins (refined sugar free)
Makes 12 large (or 15 small) muffins
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 large zucchini
- Choc chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out as much moisture as you can using your hands or a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa, bicarb soda and salt.
- Add butter, honey, vanilla, eggs and milk. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Add zucchini and beat until combined.
- Evenly divide into cupcake cases. It will make approx. 12 larger muffins or 15 small muffins. Do not overfill the cases. Optional** sprinkle the tops of the muffins with choc chips before putting them in the oven.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 mins or until cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, store in airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen.
Post written by Amanda Arnold.
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. I have a facebook page called ‘Simple home cook’ where I share my recipes which will get you through your busy week that won’t break your budget. Please head over and check out my FB pages ‘Simple home cook’ and ‘ALDI home cook’.