This was a hit meal with my friend Bernie’s teen kids. The leftovers make for yummy lunches too.
1.5kg shoulder pork (The shoulder is best for slow cooking as it shreds best. It is also a sweet cut of meat)
500g bbq sauce
300ml Coke or Cola (use caffeine free varieties if desired)
1 brown onion
- Slice onion and place in the base of the slow cooker.
- Put pork on top of the onions. Don’t try take the fat off yet, wait till it’s cooked, it’s much easier and just falls away from the meat.
- Combine the bbq sauce and coke in a bowl and stir to combine
- Pour liquid over the pork
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork from the slow cooker and discard as much fat as you can. Using 2 forks, shred the meat.
- Return as much liquid as you’d like to the shredded meat. Your shredded meat is now ready to use!
Two Meal Ideas
- Pulled Pork Pies and mashed potatoes. My kids took the pies in their lunch boxes the next day for school.
- Pork and Coleslaw Burgers.