In a recent haul of beach treasures, we found a few scallop shells. They are a clam shape with a flat back, so I thought they would be perfect for hair clips. The clips turned out so well and my daughter loved it!
I love these sorts of activities that are a natural flow on from family adventures (like this pebble footprints).
- Shell – I used a scallop shell which make this craft super easy because it’s flat at the back. A more rounded clam-like shell would work too but it would need to be filled with a moulding material so it’s flat at the base.
- Hair clip – you can buy hair clips for craft at places like discount stores and Spotlight
- Hot glue
- Holiday craft
- Older children birthday party craft
- Just to wear
- Mermaid costume
- Shell craft
1. Clean shells well. There are many different ways to clean shells, just google ‘how to clean shells’. I tend to just wash them in soapy water and use a toothbrush to clean them. Then I leave them outside to dry.
2. Glue shell on to clip.
3. That’s it! If you want the shell to look more glossy, paint it with clear nail polish.