Kids love playing with different textures when it come to craft activities. The shiniest and most textured pieces are usually what draws children’s attention when it comes to gluing a collage or completing a craft project. Well I know it does for my girls.
When putting this craft together, it was my hope that the girls would play with these cakes when playing tea parties with their stuffed animals. And they have. They love them! This craft is best prepared with the pieces cut out so that little hands can build the cakes and not worry about using scissors as the sponges can be a little tough to cut.
- Imaginative Play
- School Holiday Craft
- Just for Fun
- Building Skills
- Creativity Development
- Fine Motor Skills
- Sponges (an assortment of colours)
- Felt (an assortment of colours)
- Stickers (we didn’t use these in the end)
- Cut sponges into equal triangles.
- Allow the kids to layer each triangle to create a piece of cake.
- Cut the felt into an equal triangle to be the icing.
- Choose pompoms to decorate the top of the piece of cake.
- Once you’re happy with your cake, use craft glue to glue it together.
- To create round cakes, use the same tips, but use a round jar lid as a template for the sponges.
- Once the glue has dried, the cakes are ready to be played with in a imaginative tea party.