This is a new recipe and it sure is a winner. I have adapted an existing recipe to simplify and make it quicker. Often when making a slice, the base is baked separately then the topping is then baked again. I have combined it into one process and the result was lovely. My family loved it but I had to ration them on this as we all know it isn’t the healthiest food option. Everyone needs a few quick baked slice recipes to have in their arsenal to pull out when needed.
CARAMEL AND NUT SLICE
- 1 packet vanilla/butter cake mix
- 125g butter, melted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cups mixed nuts (slightly chopped). I used almonds, peanuts, cashews & macadamias.
- 395g can condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Line a slice tin (18cm x 28cm) with baking paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine the packet cake mix, melted butter and coconut. Stir to combine.
4. Pour into the slice tin and press down firmly. Use your hands if required.
5. Sprinkle over chocolate chips and nuts.
6. Gradually, pour the condensed milk over the top of the nuts, ensuring all the nuts are covered. Just go slowly and the tin will cover the whole slice.
7. Bake for 35 mins. After about 20 mins, you might want to cover the top of the slice with baking paper to avoid burning the nuts.
8. Refrigerate to set then cut into slices.
Post written by Amanda Arnold.
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. My cookbooks are ideal for families, students or the elderly as all recipes are easy to make on a budget. I have a new cookbook called ‘Simple home cook – back for seconds’. To check it out, please visit www.simplehomecook.com.au