Hi everyone, Amanda from ‘Simple home cook’ back with another simple weeknight meal. This one is a bacon and egg pie. Of course it is simple (otherwise I wouldn’t be cooking it) and it is a huge hit with the kids. Even my fussy little eaters devoured a big piece for dinner. You will probably have all these ingredients already at home which makes it perfect to whip up anytime.
If you don’t have shortcrust pastry, you can substitute for puff pastry. It doesn’t work as good but still tastes great.
Amanda (Simple Home Cook)
Bacon and egg pie
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 rashes of short cut bacon, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 tomato, diced
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper
- Spray oil
- 1 ½ sheets short crust pastry.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan forced). Lightly spray a quiche dish with oil.
- Line the quiche dish with pastry and prick holes in it with a fork. Bake the pastry base in preheated oven for 15 mins.
- In the meantime, fry onion and bacon in a frypan. Alternatively, you can cook in the microwave. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Add cheese, tomato, breadcrumbs , salt & pepper. Add in onion and bacon and stir to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into cooked pastry case and bake for 30 – 35 mins or until cooked through.
Post written by Amanda Arnold.
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. I have released a new cookbook called ‘Simple home cook’ which is available at www.simplehomecook.com.au. I also have a facebook page called ‘Simple home cook’ where I share my recipes which will get you through your busy week that won’t break your budget. Please head over and check out my FB pages ‘Simple home cook’ and ‘ALDI home cook’.