My daughter has been learning ballet for a few years now. It’s such a beautiful and elegant dance discipline. Over the years, I’ve mastered the ballet bun so it’s secure and neat. There is a process that I go through, especially when it comes to concert time.
- Hair Band
- Hair Gel
- Hair Spray
- Bobby Pins
- Hair Net
- Rub a small amount of gel onto your hands and smooth over the hair, especially the crown section.
- Use a brush to gather hair back into a pony tail. Depending on the dance performance, this is either a low ponytail, or a mid ponytail. Using gel at this initial stage already gives you a fairly smooth finish.
- Wind ponytail around itself to create a bun. Add four bobby pins (one on each side), ensuring you use bobby pins correctly (I learned I was doing this wrong recently. Check out this tutorial — the second tip is the way I use bobby pins for a ballet bun. The important thing is to put the pin flat side up, curvy side to the scalp. This is key for keeping it secure).
- Place hair net over the bun (depending on the size of the net, you may need to twist it around put it over the bun a couple of times).
- Use bobby pins again to secure the net and the bun.
- Use hairspray and the comb to smooth any fly aways. It will be super neat and secure.
A found this little business in my community that sells personalised hair boxes for dance and I loved them! The business is based on Facebook and it’s called It’s a Sticker Business (they do other personalised items also). I ordered a hair dance box for my daughter and it’s so lovely, I thought it worth sharing here for any other dance parents. It comes in a couple of different sizes. I ordered the large size and it holds heaps of things. It came with hairspray, comb, bobby pins, hair pins, hair bands, invisible hair bands and hair gel. Pretty much everything we need! And look how gorgeous the personalise writing is!
Travel size hair gel is ideal when it comes to concert time at the end of the year.
My daughter did a very quick video review to show what’s inside.
Below is the smaller sized options.