When I was grocery shopping recently, I also noticed the Hamper Kit at Woolies, which includes the hamper box, plastic wrap and ribbon. I like the idea of making your own hamper, filled with the exact sort of products you know the gift recipient would enjoy. In this post, I’ve put together three DIY hamper ideas and tips for packing.
1. Fresh Fruit Morn’
This is the sort of gift I would love myself. Often with hampers, it’s easier to go with packaged food, but oh what a treat it is to give the gift of fresh hampers. It’s quick and easy to make this up, and you can keep it in the fridge before gifting it. It would make a wonderful teacher gift idea, parents, grandparents, or anyone who loves fresh fruit.
- 2 x small bowls – I used small Corelle bowls (tip: they need to be smaller than your average size breakfast bowl)
- 2 x individual serve yoghurts
- Hamper Kit
- Because this is a fresh hamper, you want to be able to throw it together quickly and easily. It is helpful to have craft paper on hand to help with packing the food so it sits right.
- I used the bowls to prop up the pineapple and house the cherries. Then I used scrunched craft paper beside the bowls to ensure they didn’t move and propped up the other products.
- Use a clear plastic container for muesli or nuts.
- There is a plastic wrap you can put over the hamper and a ribbon to fasten, but I love the look of it without the plastic and by packing it in a certain way, it was secure.
2. Aussie Favs
Got to love the Aussie classics. There are so many products you could include in here! I picked a selection of my favourites.
- Tim Tams
- Giant Freddo
- Giant Caramello Koala
- Caramilk Block
- Madura Tea
- Daralee Rocky Road
- Vegemite Shapes
- Vegemite jar (small)
- 100s & 1000s
- Hamper Kit Box
- The longer boxes and packets work best at the back. I used some brown craft paper around some of the products so they were at different heights.
- If needed, you can use some sticky tape to help you arrange some of the products together so they sit in a certain way.
3. Movie Night
This is an ideal family or group gift. It is very easy to put together too.
- Microwave Popcorn
- Butterscotch Flavoured Popcorn (there is also Candy Cane Flavoured Popcorn)
- Maltesers (gift box)
- Christmas Marshmallows
- Drinking Chocolate
- iTunes gift card
- This hamper was easy to pack. I simply put a base later of scrunched craft paper than arranged the larger packs at the back and the smaller products at the front.
- I put a selection of Christmas Marshmallows in a little clear container
- Include an iTunes or other movie streaming service gift voucher.
I found the Hamper Kit to be a really good size. When you first pick it up, it may look smallish, but it holds a surprising amount of products.