I find the fruitless Hot Cross Buns perfect for this recipe, but you can use any variety you like.
- 4 Eggs
- 6 Hot Cross Buns (I used fruitless)
- Raspberry or Strawberry Jam (Optional)
- Cadbury Mini Eggs (Optional)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 500ml of thickened cream
- Frozen Raspberries (to decorate)
This is a classic bread & butter pudding so you can either use this recipe or other bread and butter base recipes will work too. I have a bit of a process how I like to make this which I’ll share below.
- Prep: Preheat oven to 180°C. In a bowl, whisk together the cream, eggs and sugar.
- Cut the buns in half and if using jam, spread a layer on the base.
- Tip half the cream mixture directly into a baking dish. You want the size of the dish to fit the 6 buns in nicely (not too big). I used a 26cm roasting pan.
- Place the base of the buns into the mixture and allow to soak in for about 5 minutes or so.
- Place the top layer of buns on top.
- Tip the remaining liquid mixture over the top. Again, allow it to soak in for a few minutes. I tend to use a clean board and put it over the top to make sure the buns don’t float and really get a good soaking.
- Optional: I then throw frozen raspberries and chocolate eggs over the top for decoration. Tip: Keep some eggs and raspberries to serve. Cover with foil and cook for about 20-30 minutes. It is ready when the custard part is set.
7. To serve: Cut each bun in half and serve with desired sides. I used cream and raspberry coulis. To make the coulis, it’s a simple matter or heating frozen raspberries and a few tablespoons of sugar in a saucepan or Thermomix until the mixture is like a thick topping.