Hurry! Finding the Play Button

I tend to run in Fast Forward or  Stop (and nowhere in-between).  This means, I’m either running around madly or unable to move. I’m missing the play button. The consequence of this is I often run into furniture and trip over things.  I drop boxes on my feet and cut myself in the kitchen. Being in fast forward means I’m always in a hurry.

This is something I’ve been working on: finding the play button in my life.  Because, when I’m constantly in a hurry, I stress my family out. You see, I like it when I’m in hurry mode (ie Fast Forward) so I often leave things to the last minute so I HAVE to run around madly.  I’ve been slow to learn this lesson: Hurry + Children = Stress.

Friday Morning: print Miss 9’s assignment – make four lunches – change a nappy – back four bags – brush four heads of hair – four mouths to feed – don’t forget to get your shoes – in car – forgot phone – run back inside – drive to school – late – walk children up – son crying – sun in his eyes – Miss 3 can’t move quickly enough – back in car – drive to kindy to drop off Miss 5 – stayed to settle – hurry – hurry – hurry – back in the car – stop.

Admittedly, not every morning is quite as bad as the Friday gone; however, it made me think.  When I’m in a hurry, it’s rarely a good thing for my family.  Looking back over my Friday morning, I can see a lot of the fast forwardness (is that even a word?) was due to lack of organisation.

I can be organised, I like being organised but I choose not to be sometimes because I also like to hurry. I’m choosing to bring more organisation into my life because my family’s needs are important to me and I seek to create an environment of harmony  in my home. Here’s to me finding my play button.

You Might Also Like...

21 Comments

Rebecca
    April 17, 2010 at 7:24 am

Sounds like the story of my life. Even when I try to be organised something always doesn’t go to plan & I end up in fast forward anyway. Such is life.

Trish
    April 17, 2010 at 8:01 am

Interesting ..Love reading these posts….I agree Hurry + Children = Stress…especially children with special needs…u always seem to be on top of all u do with your family and I love that about u…your kids r very lucky to have u as a Mum!!!!!

One thought…maybe u could try to have a routine for school/kindy mornings? and that is probably really hard with four kids ..I only have one kid and we have a routine for school mornings……and then compromise and have your hurrying times/days on the weekends, school free days/public hols ….etc..(.I bet u do this already anyway…)

Polly
    April 17, 2010 at 8:21 am

I have mornings like that, too!

My little ones have even begun to ask, “Are we late?” when we head out the door for something. How sad is that?

I love the concept of finding the play button, what a great way to think about it!! I’m going to work on that this coming week. Thanks for the reminder!

Michelle
    April 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

Some great thoughts you have provoked here. I think back to crazy mornings and morning that were actually fun when the same pressure was on but the difference was my organisation and my attitude. It takes work hey? πŸ™‚ Mxx

Julie
    April 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Hi Kelly
    thanks so much for stopping by.. it’s always great to meet a new face and another aussie blogger!!… Well I can so relate to this.. even though I don’t have kids I only seem to have a GO and STOP button… at work ppl have always told me I’m the ‘All or nothing girl’… I think I am in STOP mode at present… and just like you trying to learn how to PLAY….. love your painted lady in the sidebar… she’s a cutie… thanks for the well wishes on my anniversary post.. please come back by later in the week as I’m having a giveaway.. Julie

Tamsyn
    April 17, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I only have one baby so far, but I can already see that I am constantly rushing around. I can only imagine what it will be like when I have three or more kids… I should probably get myself organised now while I have the chance!

agneta
    April 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Kelly,

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, it makes me so happy.

I love your Mum blogs a lot!

Agneta, the swedish one;)

PlanningQueen
    April 17, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for the lovely mention. I was way too busy in March and I could tell that my “rushing” was certainly having an impact on the family. The first week back to term 2 has been much better and I am going to work very hard to keep less busy.

Farmers Wife
    April 17, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I like to be organised. I don’t seem to ever be though.

Trish
    April 18, 2010 at 7:55 am

I could use a pause putton too …I tend to rush and stress my family too. I shout 101 instructions and leave my family confused as what to do first . I’m going to try harder. I think I’ll write PLAY on a post it for my mirror & fridge.

Janet
    April 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I know exactly what you mean – I joke that I have two speeds – full steam ahead or full stop (usually asleep in bed)!

Elizabeth
    April 19, 2010 at 7:35 am

Thanks for your comment, Kelly.
    I know exactly what you mean. The trick is to take joy in it, right?!

Carrie
    April 22, 2010 at 8:51 am

Neat challenge – I could definitely learn from this analogy!!

Kelly Be A Fun Mum
      April 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Yeah, it’s a different way of thinking. I’m trying but it’s hard work! lol

I Didn’t Clean The Kitchen Last Night : Be A Fun Mum
    July 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm

[…] Hurry! Finding the Play Button […]

What Sort of Mother AM I? : Be A Fun Mum
    September 26, 2010 at 12:02 am

[…] Hurry! Finding the Play Button ShareSubscribeDiggdel.icio.usFacebookStumbleUpon […]

Love the Moment Challenge | Be A Fun Mum
    December 31, 2010 at 11:49 am

[…] Hurry! Finding the Play Button […]

Sorry The House Is In A Mess | Be A Fun Mum
    April 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm

[…] Hurry! Finding the Play Button […]

Mum Labels: Is There a War?
    August 1, 2012 at 8:43 am