5 Ways to Make School Lunches Fun

School lunches are the bane of my existence. Yes, it really is that dramatic.  I see the lunch box as some sort of evil monster.  I even wrote about it last year for Coles. (Here it is: The Lunch Box Monster).   I’m always (desperately) looking for ways to feed the rotten creature…and then I met Cath. Cath has the most inspiring lunch box ideas. So inspiring in fact, I’m tempted to think of the lunch box as a cute pet that needs love and care rather than a horrid monster! I never would have believed it to be true…but I dare you to look at the Lunch Boxes with Love website and tell me you don’t feel the same!  {awwww, cute lil’ thing} Are you sure it doesn’t bite Cath?

lunch boxes with love

I’m so glad to have Cath here today to share her tips on how to make lunch boxes FUN!

Guest Post from Cath from Lunch Boxes with Love

Hey, my name is Cath and I’m a Mum to two gorgeous little people: Little Miss Crow Bird who is five and Mr Smiley who just turned one.

I have created a business called Lunch Boxes With Love as I am passionate about providing my kids with delicious and varied lunches which are fun and practical too. We offer a range of products including gorgeous lunchboxes, funky boiled egg molds, sandwich shapers and much more.

We can help turn any boring old school lunch into a work of art with no extra effort required.

I have put together a few little tips, tricks and recipes I use to help make my children’s lunches fun, healthy, eco friendly and irresistible.

1. Food Picks

We all sometimes struggle to get our little ones to eat vegetables, and we want to show our children how much fun food is. With gorgeous food picks it’s easy to make vegetables fun; and the kids can help!

I  use whatever vegetables I have available, poke them with a food pick and that is it! As you can see, they are adorable. Pictured below, I used leaf food picks with cherry tomatoes, and have filled a little dip cup with some avocado. There you go: an  easy, cute and fun snack!

{click the picture for more food picks}

food picks

2. Sandwich Stamps

It’s easy to make a plain sandwich hard to resist with sandwich stamps. Simply make your child’s sandwich, push down on the cutter to cut the shapes out, then take the cute animal out of the top and push down to stamp the bread…GORGEOUS! I used the old trusty vegemite on the sandwiches pictured below.

{click the picture to see more sandwich shapers}

sandwich stamps sandwich shapers sandwich cutters

3.  Boiled Egg Molds

Boiled Eggs are a fabulous and healthy snack for the lunchbox. Many parents tell me their children now eat eggs (when they never did before) because of the molds. To be organised, I boil a couple of eggs on Sunday night and mold them ready for the next few day’s lunches.

To mold a boiled egg like the one pictured below follow these instructions:

1. Boil the egg as usual

2. While the egg is still hot, take the shell off under running water (so you don’t burn your fingers)

3. Put the egg into the boiled egg mold and put the mold in a bowl of cold water for 5 mins

4. Open the mold and you will have a gorgeous healthy snack that no child can resist!

{click the picture to see more egg mold shapes}

boiled egg molds moulds

4. Toasted Sandwich Pops

Not many people like to eat the same thing everyday for weeks on end. So to help make things fun for the kids, I recently made these Toasted Sandwich Pops.

Lunch Box Recipes toasted sandwich pops

Toasted Sandwich Pops Recipe

What you need:

Lolly pop sticks (available from Spotlight)

Bread

Ham & Cheese

Animal Cutter Set

What to do:

1. Turn on your café grill.

2. Butter one side of each piece of bread.

3. Place a slice of ham and lots of cheese (this acts like glue) on the bottom piece of bread.

4. Pop the other piece of bread on top and let it cook.

5. Once the bread is ready, take the sandwich out and cut it with the animal cutter set.

6. Stick the lollypop stick in between the bread and let it cool.

All done! A cute looking sandwich with a difference for the lunchbox.

5. Lunch Boxes Inspiration

Lunch Boxes With Love have a blog filled with inspiring lunch box ideas. Whether this be for a special occasion or just to get you out of a lunch box rut. Look at the creative ideas below:

{click picture to look at the Lunch Boxes With Love Blog}

Strawberry Hearts

Environmentally Friendly Back to School Range

You Might Also Like...

68 Comments

angie
    April 27, 2011 at 9:18 am

i totally love the boiled egg molds, being a single mother with 8 children and an autistic 3 yr old im always looking for new interesting things for their lunch boxes…these look excellent as my kids love boiled eggs, im sure these would be a huge hit!

Cath Bakker
    April 27, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thanks so much Kelly, loved working with you on this. Keep up the great work with your blog! LOVE IT!

erin mccormick
    April 27, 2011 at 9:21 am

hey
    i loved the alphabet cutter set. but realistically anythign that is going ot make my sons lunchbox more appealing to him he is a picky eater at times. he loves food like butter chicken fried rice, chicken penang. but wont eat sausages or pancakes etc any simple foods. lol. thank u for this opportunity xo

Stephanie
    April 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

Yay… I think I spent about 20mins looking around at wonderful lunch box ideas… I love the sandwich alphabet cutters… Perfect for boy who just started school and the fruit picks made me giggle…

Xo Steph

Mon
    April 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

Did you see the sausage shapers??? Soooo cute!

Karissa Smith
    April 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

I love the Sandwich Shapers, especially the Critter Cutters. They make sandwiches look fun to eat. The Critter Cutters are good because there is little wastage of bread. I can’t wait to use them with my son!

Pauline
    April 27, 2011 at 9:24 am

Oh my, who knew food could be sooooo much fun? Everything is divine, from the two tier lunchboxes, to the dividers….I love the idea of a little dipping cup with lid – so clever. My fave would have to be the ‘starter kit / tool box’….a little bit of everything to get your child wild about lunch!!!

Nicole Grant
    April 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

I want the Tool Box! I have just put in a request to my husband to buy this for me for Mothers Day!

Ash-leigh
    April 27, 2011 at 9:38 am

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the boiled egg moulds. what an amazing idea!!!

Kristy H
    April 27, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love the sandwich stamps and the cute little leaf picks! Honestly I love the whole lot!!

Eve Martin
    April 27, 2011 at 9:41 am

I love the mini cutter set because of te music shapes as I am a music teacher

Stephanie
    April 27, 2011 at 9:42 am

The leaf picks are great! You wouldn’t think adding something so simple to a grape would make your children eat them?!!

Janice
    April 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

I love those sandwich stamps! I’m a bento freak- love LBWL!!

Kylie partridge
    April 27, 2011 at 9:57 am

I absolutely love the 2 tiered piggy lunchbox! It is so adorably cute and very unique! My miss 5 year old loves piggys so she would eat anything out of it 🙂

Dennielle
    April 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

what gorgeous ideas, i have a hard time getting my little man to eat sandwiches so i think the cute sandwhich cutters are the perfect solution to make them fun to eat, and i love the sausage shapers they are just so cute, now heading back to the site to put an order in for a few things. or maybe just a bit more than a few :o)

Katrina
    April 27, 2011 at 9:59 am

I really want to try the animal sandwich cutter. Espeically the frog one. We have a real frog which our daughter loves. So if I could make a “frog” sandwhich it would make her day.

Tania Robinson
    April 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

Totally love LBWL. I have a set of the sandwich cutters and they are fantastic. My little girl is a very fussy eater so making her sandwiches fun goes a long way in getting her to eat her lunch. Definitely planning to add some other goodies to my kitchen soon!

Jasmine
    April 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

I would have to say everything, i am completely in love with LBWL .
    If i had to pick one thing though it would be the sandwich shapers. they are so cute..

Elisha
    April 27, 2011 at 10:13 am

Oh I just love the new animal sandwich cutters!

KateyLou
    April 27, 2011 at 10:14 am

I love everything at LBWL, I am saving my pennies as I really want to get the Bento Daisy Lunchbox for my daughter!

Since finding the site a month or so ago Miss 10 and I have been buying a few tools and having so much fun making lunches together- not only is she eating more, but she is helping me make the lunches because it is so much fun…..

What can be better than something that feeds my kids as well as my soul!

Kristy
    April 27, 2011 at 10:23 am

Wow!!! How hard is it to choose?? I love the animal critters. Anything to do with animals my 20 month old girl loves, so they would be a huge hit for us 🙂

Sarah
    April 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

How can I decide on one item! I think I would need to start with the starter kit so I had a little selection of everything.

Lisa
    April 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

They are all so cute, but my fave will have to be the Pink bunny cupcake lunch box, as both my little girl and me just looove cupcakes 🙂

Christina M
    April 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

My boys would SO love the vehicle bread molds and the sausage master – I’m definitely going to have to buy those. Thank you SO much for sharing this fanstastic shop – I just LOVE it. I have so much fun creating fun and yummy things for my boys and I’m always looking for new ways to add fun to their meals

samone
    April 27, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve recently discovered the ‘craft’ of lunchbox love! My first attempt was St.pattys day and my lil’ guy loved it!
    Love all the bits and bobs and that cute duck lunchbox!

Meegan
    April 27, 2011 at 10:55 am

Wow – They are all soooo cool!! I love the food pick idea, so much more fun than just regular grapes/cheese/whatever you can think of!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

nellbe
    April 27, 2011 at 11:15 am

as a bit of a bento fan I would have to say the food doodlers. Making lunches fun is fun to me and reminds me I best get back into it.

Alison
    April 27, 2011 at 11:16 am

I love the Mini Cutter Set as it has a variety of shapes to use for different occasions. One could go crazy with the endless options with these cutters.

Alyson
    April 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

I love the Match N Munch sandwich cutters. They make the sandwiches so much fun for my son to eat, and I love using wholemeal and four seed loaf bread to make different puzzle pieces for his lunches.

Cat
    April 27, 2011 at 11:24 am

My daughters love taking eggs to school and kinder for snacks but they always end up looking a little worse for wear by lunch time, so my favourite item would have to be the Rabbit and Bear Egg Mold. What fun to open up a lunchbox and discover one of these little creatures staring back at you!!

Kristy
    April 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I love everything at LBWL! I have just ordered some of the products and can’t wait to get them! I think the picks are so cute, and anything that will encourage my son to eat is great, as he gets bored easily during meal times. The egg mould are fantastic, the silicon bowls are awesome, I could go on and on. Love it all!

Hannah
    April 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I absolutely LOVE the Valentines day lunch both. It shows how something so simple can mean so much to your child and let them know how much you truely love them, even if you can’t be with them all the time, e.g. like at school. This has given me true inspiration to have a go at making my sons lunch box something that extra bit fancy that he will love to eat and remember and be the envy of all lunch boxes amoung his friends. My biggest hope is that my kids grow up happy and heathly and heathly does not have to mean boring or plain.

Thanks fo sharing 🙂

Gilly
    April 27, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Oh wow, i wanted to order one of everything! I particularly thought the Spotty & Stripey Dip/Sauce Cup would be great for multi-uses! And so funky!

Naomi Ellis
    April 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love it all what else can I say! I love the sandwich stamps and also the boiled egg molds. So clever. I dislike doing the lunch boxes so much and this would seriously make my life in the morning so much more fun. Great giveaway. Naomi x

Sheralee
    April 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Ohh what great idea’s I love the sand*wishes* and of course the rabbit/bear egg mold:) Great products!!!

Fiona @Oh Gorgeous Baby
    April 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm

SO COOL! My kids would love this and I reckon I would love putting it together too!
    They are all so clever but I think the boiled egg is pretty good. Airlie would just adore that. Thanks for the links to the website I am off to have a better look now.

Pat
    April 27, 2011 at 1:53 pm

This stuff is amazing, I am definetely going to start stocking up on bits and pieces over the months. Love the little hats the best and the egg moulds too, they are so cute. My kids lunch boxes are for sure going to pick up a notch! Cant wait to see their surprised/delighted faces.

CraftyMummy
    April 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Oh so cute! I lived in japan for a while and all the kids – even in highschool – had cute lunch boxes and cute lunches. I think my favourite is the sand “wishes” cutters. There is a princess here that would love them ;o)

Natalie Marwood
    April 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Oh how I LOVE all these wonderful lunchbox gadgets! Especially love the egg mold one, how special. I’m off to their website now to check it out & make some purchases! Thanks for sharing.

Alissa
    April 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Oh my! What an amazing collection of fun! So hard to choose my favourite… but I think I’m going to have to go with the Sandwich cutters – particularly the VRRM ones – Think my sone would LOVE them! 🙂

And Kelly, I love your “The Lunchbox Monster” post. Fabulous ideas – will have to give your magic strawberry mousse a try. (On Friday my 2 year old son and I baked your cookie dough reciep – it was a huge success and I even recommended it to a friend who made some yesterday! Thank you for sharing amazing and inspiring things with us!)

Caz
    April 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love these ideas and will be visitiing Cath’s blog and site for sure. How fabulous. Love it muchly :O)

Caz
    April 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Ops – forgot to say my fav item is probably the sandwhich stamp – but I’ll heading back to make sure :O)

bubble936
    April 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

My favourite item is Vehicle bread molds.
    But i loved all the products and very excieted to see so many new and innovative ideas.
    I have liked them on facebook…

Trish @ my little drummers
    April 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My boys would love these ideas …I love the sandwich stamps.

Jodie
    April 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Can’t decide between the sandwich stamps or sandwich cutters….

Alicia Barry
    April 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm

These egg moulds are so fun, I had no idea you would do that. Luckily my son is a great eater, so he doesn’t need the motivation but what a great way to reward him for being great.

Melinda
    April 27, 2011 at 6:55 pm

aaaaah ! Lunch box love ! Would love to embrace but fearful might turn into lunch box nervous breakdown; I would love to know how you gals find the time LOL

Leila
    April 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I am so in love with Match and Munch sandwich cutters… with 4 kids i can imagine them all loving them and being able to give them a selection of fillings while still making it fun!
    And i’m sure Daddy would enjoy having them at lunch as well.

Katrina
    April 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I think this is an amazing site – I want it all. Really I would love the sandwich stamps, I know these would make my little girl really want to eat sandwiches.

Karyn
    April 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Just fantastic – love the fruit and veg picks!

1 2