This recipe was given to me by my friend Bernadette from Making Rainbows It’s become one of those family favourites that’s a regular on the menu.
Okay, today I’m going to share with you my new favourite recipe. Everyone who’s tasted it so far loves it and stalks me for the recipe, so I thought I’d pass it on. It’s called Chicken Enchilada Soup. My kids even eat it! Here is their review: “It tastes like tacos!” Enough plugging the meal, let’s make it…
A BBQ chook
2 litres of chicken stock (I buy a carton, cause I think it tastes better)
1 can corn (drained)
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 packet of taco seasoning mix
Bunch of coriander
Plain corn chips
1. First, you need slice and dice the onion, and sauté in a fry pan with a little olive oil.
2. Next comes the yucky job that makes your hands all icky. You need to strip the meat off the chook.
3. Dice the meat and throw it into a slow cooker with the sautéed onions.
4. Drain the corn and the beans, and add it into the slow cooker too. While you’re at it, you might as well pour in the can of diced tomatoes, taco seasoning and the chicken stock too.
5. Stir it all through and cook it baby! 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
6. Stir through some coriander just before serving.
7. Now, here comes the really yummy part of the meal. Are you ready? I hope you’re sitting down! When you serve up your soup, have a bowl of corn chips and a blob (yes, that’s an actual measurement) of sour cream right beside you for when you feel like dipping…and I promise you, you’ll feel like dipping!
Tip: You could also top the steamy soup with any (or all) of the following:
- Cubes of Avocado
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Chopped spring onions
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Dollop of sour cream
- Pickled slice jalapeños
Note: You can do this in a saucepan on the stove top.
Click here for a printer friendly version of the recipe: Chicken Enchilada Soup
This can easily be done on a stove top too. Just throw it all into a pot and cook until ready.