Kate Bracks, MasterChef 2011 winner is sharing her Lime, Sour Cream and Cocnut Cake recipe. Wow. Just wow. I made it and it’s easy, and so delicious and moist.
Lime, Sour Cream and Coconut Cake
Recipe by Kate Bracks
Images by Be A Fun Mum
Baking was my first love in the culinary world and I find any excuse to make a cake. This cake is super moist with a subtle citrus flavor and soft decadent texture. You can serve it as a dessert or as a treat through the day. I like it warm out of the oven with thick double cream and blueberries.
125g butter, softened
200g (1 cup) caster sugar
Zest of 1 lime, very finely grated
Juice of 2 limes
1 ½ cups SR Flour, sifted
200g (3/4 cup) sour cream
2/3 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup water
150gms (3/4 cup) sugar
Thick double cream
1 punnet of fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 180`C.
2. Grease a 20cm round baking tin and line the base with baking paper (preferably a spring form tin).
3. Put the butter and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale.
4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
5. Add the lime juice and zest and mix well.
6. Fold in the self-raising flour and the coconut.
7. Stir in the sour cream.
8. Spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Meanwhile place the water and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over low-medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
10. As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, pierce it 10-12 times with a fine skewer and pour the hot syrup over the top.
11. Allow the cake to cool in the tin and then run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the tin. Remove to a serving plate and serve with cream and berries on the side.
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us Kate. I was thrilled with the result! I’m not a really great baker so if I can follow the recipe, anyone can!
Click here for a Printer Friendly version of the recipe: Lime, Sour Cream and Coconut Cake Recipe
Read my interview with Kate Bracks