I was chatting to Peter from Coolthings about Minecraft paper craft that would appeal to older children and he’s come up with this brilliant Minecraft Torch for craft or a party activity for Be A Fun Mum. I got Miss 12 to test out the instructions independently, and here is the result. She loves it and is now in the process of making one for her younger siblings.
Guest Post from Peter from Coolthings
Make Your Own Minecraft Torch (with flickering light)
If you’ve been asked to make your next kids Party a Minecraft themed party, and you have the cake all organised and all the party food sorted out, here’s a party favours or craft idea: this is a cool project to make yourself in 5 minutes that you can use as a great gift to give away that will be remembered more than lollies.
What you’ll need
Minecraft torch template (download PDF here: Minecraft Torch Printable)
A couple of rulers
1 x flickering electronic candle per torch – available in most craft stores and online here.
How to Make
1. The first thing you need to do is download and print out your Minecraft torch template. This one is from fps-x-games.com
TIP: Print the torch out on photo paper and if you have access to a laminator then laminate it. You’ll get a great end result as the torch will look like it has been purchased from a store.
2. Cut out the torch template using the coloured panels as a guide.
3. Once you have cut out the torch template it should look something like this:
4. The next thing you want to do is score the bend lines of the template, this will make it super easy to fold up the torch and give it a professional look as well. Use one ruler to guide you down the tab line and the other ruler to make a score line.
5. You’ll now see that you can easily fold the tab inwards along the score line that you made
6. Continue scoring all the tab lines and do an initial fold of all the tabs, it should look something like this
7. Once you have the tabs done the next step is scoring and folding the lines that form the body of the torch, the easiest line to start with is the centre line because you can use the edges of the top and bottom of the torch as a guide to get a straight line.
8. From then on simple score all the other lines and fold inwards to form the shape of the torch
Putting the torch together
9. Bend all your tabs down so they are nice and flat, this makes it easier to assemble the torch.
10. Now you can use super glue to bind all the tabs but for quick assembly simply use sticky tape to tab all the edges. Start with the main body of the torch, lay the torch down and put a line of tape along the edge without the tape making sure the tape goes over the edge ready to attach to the other side.
11. Fold the torch in and attached the sides. Do the same with the bottom of the torch.
Now for the Magical flickering light
This part can be done as you are about to give them out, or you can simply stick the candle in and then when you are ready turn it on and tape up the top
12. Get your electronic candle and pop some sticky tape to the bottom of it.
13. Stick your candle to the bottom side of the lid.
14. Now when you’re ready to give your torches out simply turn on the flickering candle.
15. Use sticky tape to seal up the top of the torch.
Woo hoo the end product of Minecraft awesomeness should look something like this:
To find even more Minecraft gifts and gadgets visit this cool Minecraft gifts page here.
KimDecember 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm
I have never made a post on anything before but I have to say Wow and Thank You! I have searched high and low for cool minecraft ideas and while I have found some from people who want to help, nobody gives you patterns or websites or any information on how to do the things they did, only pictures. Really not helpful at all. Thank you so much for giving the pattern and step by step directions. This is the coolest project yet! My son is going to love this. Thanks again!
KatJuly 22, 2014 at 9:54 am
Awesome! Thanks you 🙂
All-Nice | SIXTY-FIVE FREE MINECRAFT ACTIVITIES! Wow!!July 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm
[…] Creeper Perler Bead Pattern Minecraft Play Scene Minecraft Color by Number Minecraft Coloring Pages Minecraft Torch Minecraft designs for HAMA beads (or perler […]
AmyAugust 6, 2014 at 10:20 am
Thank you for posting this template and instructions for a Minecraft Torch!! I used it for my sons birthday party and the kids loved it!
Kelly Be A Fun MumAugust 7, 2014 at 11:34 am
So great to hear Amy!
BrendaOctober 12, 2014 at 5:37 am
YOU ROCK! I am a creative type but I am so thankful for others like you who make my life so much easier by sharing their genius ideas. And for cheap too! Thank You so very much!
50+ DIY Minecraft Birthday Party Ideas | About Family CraftsNovember 4, 2014 at 11:14 am
[…] – Crepe Paper Decorations from Southern Revival 2 – Minecraft Torch from Be a Fun Mum 3 – Paper Plate Wall Creeper as seen on Pinterest 4 – Printable […]
AnneNovember 25, 2014 at 4:00 am
Hi, I work in the Children’s Department of my local library. We’re going to be offering a Minecraft IRL program and I would LOVE to offer this craft as an option for the kids to make…it’s SO STINKIN’ COOL! When I printed the template, however, part of the bottom of the torch was cut off. I’ll admit that I’m not the most tech savvy person, but wondering if you have any recommendations on how to get the image to fit on an 8.5″ x 11″ piece of cardstock? I tried copying the image and pasting it into a Publisher document so I could resize it, but it didn’t come out very well. 🙁 Thanks in advance!
Kelly - Be A Fun MumNovember 25, 2014 at 6:21 am
Have you tired adjusting the printing settings?
ArleneNovember 26, 2014 at 10:36 am
Thank you so much for the template and clear instruction. My boys are big fans of Minecraft. They will love this. Thank you..thank you and thank you
Kelly - Be A Fun MumNovember 26, 2014 at 7:36 pm
ruthDecember 13, 2014 at 3:34 am
The template’s page says…
NOT FOUND…ERROR 404
I cannot print…
Kelly - Be A Fun MumDecember 13, 2014 at 10:21 am
Here’s the direct link Ruth for you Ruth. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uLDFgERoeCQ/UUIxIHAH91I/AAAAAAAAFjw/r7YwlOCVXS4/s1600/Minecraft-torch-papercraft.png
Kelly - Be A Fun MumDecember 13, 2014 at 10:22 am
Let me know if you have any trouble.
Minecraft Birthday Party | Minecrafty MomDecember 3, 2014 at 2:33 pm
[…] downloaded the torch template from here and made colour copies and laminated them at Staples. As you can see, they turned out great. Each […]
Minecraft Torch | Cook You Some NoodlesJanuary 31, 2015 at 5:08 pm
[…] craft posted on Be A Fun Mum’s Facebook page on how to make a Minecraft Torch – link here – it was a quick an easy project that I knew my 7 y.o. Josh would […]
LaraJanuary 31, 2015 at 6:39 pm
ThomasMarch 8, 2015 at 10:18 am
Great idea and design, we used photo paper and then packing tape on the flat printout before we folded it. (no laminator) We decided to add a toilet paper tube pushed down to the bottom (on the inside) to add more stability. Thanks for the free template download!
Papercraft Minecraft Torch – Pin of the Week | Geek CraftsGeek CraftsSeptember 7, 2015 at 5:42 am
[…] to add the original source of this design here, this was not a deliberate omission. Apologies to the original […]
StacyOctober 13, 2015 at 5:43 am
Thank you so much for taking the time to post step by step instructions!
Birthday Candle Printable Template – Valentine Day CalendarMarch 13, 2016 at 4:20 am
[…] Minecraft Torch (With Flickering Light) […]
AdrianaAugust 22, 2016 at 5:06 am
Muito obrigado pela dica!! Fiz 2 tochas para a festa de meu filho que será agora dia 28 de agosto…
Vai ser um sucesso!!!
Simple Minecraft Birthday Party - delia createsOctober 25, 2016 at 6:13 pm
[…] And we made minecraft torches, using this free printable. […]
JenniferJanuary 2, 2017 at 3:37 pm
I just made this for my little boy. He enjoyed watching me make this for him. It was a quick and fun craft to do together. I also put some black contact paper on the inside handle part to prevent light from coming through, so only the flame part lights up. He loves his new toy. Thank you!
RolenMarch 7, 2017 at 2:59 am
You should glue aluminum foil behind the “stick” part so the light only makes the “fire” part glow.
CandaceNovember 5, 2019 at 12:57 am
The link to print the torch no longer works. Is there another way to get the printable.
Kelly - Be A Fun MumDecember 5, 2019 at 6:55 am
Hi Candace, I’ve reuploaded the link file so you should be able to access it.
aDecember 5, 2019 at 1:11 am
Also looking for the printable, if anyone can share please do. The xp games link does not work anymore?
Kelly - Be A Fun MumDecember 5, 2019 at 6:52 am
I’ve uploaded it again for you. You can find it here http://www.beafunmum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/minecraft-torch-free-printable-PDF-Download.pdf
EmmaAugust 5, 2021 at 11:55 pm
I’ve just made this with my 7 year old and what a hit! It’s amazing!!! Thank you for sharing this 🙂
Kelly - Be A Fun MumAugust 13, 2021 at 2:25 pm