I was chatting to Peter from Coolthings about Minecraft paper craft that would appeal to older children and he’s come up with this brilliant Minecraft Torch for craft or a party activity for Be A Fun Mum. I got Miss 12 to test out the instructions independently, and here is the result. She loves it and is now in the process of making one for her younger siblings.
Guest Post from Peter from Coolthings
Make Your Own Minecraft Torch (with flickering light)
If you’ve been asked to make your next kids Party a Minecraft themed party, and you have the cake all organised and all the party food sorted out, here’s a party favours or craft idea: this is a cool project to make yourself in 5 minutes that you can use as a great gift to give away that will be remembered more than lollies.
What you’ll need
Minecraft torch template (download PDF here: Minecraft Torch Printable)
A couple of rulers
1 x flickering electronic candle per torch – available in most craft stores and online here.
How to Make
1. The first thing you need to do is download and print out your Minecraft torch template. This one is from fps-x-games.com
TIP: Print the torch out on photo paper and if you have access to a laminator then laminate it. You’ll get a great end result as the torch will look like it has been purchased from a store.
2. Cut out the torch template using the coloured panels as a guide.
3. Once you have cut out the torch template it should look something like this:
4. The next thing you want to do is score the bend lines of the template, this will make it super easy to fold up the torch and give it a professional look as well. Use one ruler to guide you down the tab line and the other ruler to make a score line.
5. You’ll now see that you can easily fold the tab inwards along the score line that you made
6. Continue scoring all the tab lines and do an initial fold of all the tabs, it should look something like this
7. Once you have the tabs done the next step is scoring and folding the lines that form the body of the torch, the easiest line to start with is the centre line because you can use the edges of the top and bottom of the torch as a guide to get a straight line.
8. From then on simple score all the other lines and fold inwards to form the shape of the torch
Putting the torch together
9. Bend all your tabs down so they are nice and flat, this makes it easier to assemble the torch.
10. Now you can use super glue to bind all the tabs but for quick assembly simply use sticky tape to tab all the edges. Start with the main body of the torch, lay the torch down and put a line of tape along the edge without the tape making sure the tape goes over the edge ready to attach to the other side.
11. Fold the torch in and attached the sides. Do the same with the bottom of the torch.
Now for the Magical flickering light
This part can be done as you are about to give them out, or you can simply stick the candle in and then when you are ready turn it on and tape up the top
12. Get your electronic candle and pop some sticky tape to the bottom of it.
13. Stick your candle to the bottom side of the lid.
14. Now when you’re ready to give your torches out simply turn on the flickering candle.
15. Use sticky tape to seal up the top of the torch.
Woo hoo the end product of Minecraft awesomeness should look something like this:
To find even more Minecraft gifts and gadgets visit this cool Minecraft gifts page here.