A little while ago, I shared how I make pizza scrolls for the lunchbox. I make the dough from scratch in my Thermomix. Many asked about an easier way to do the dough so I’m sharing two different ways I do scrolls that are a little less hands-on. It’s handy to have these up your sleeve so you can smash them out depending on how much time you have. They freeze well so you can make a big batch for the lunch box.
Firstly, I have made scrolls with puff pastry before. Simply lay out a piece, sprinkle with desired ingredients, roll when thawed, cut into sections and cook in a hot 190°C-200°C oven until golden (about 15 minutes). They turn out ok but not very full (and they are a bit greasy) so I don’t tend to do that option much anymore. Below is a batch of puff pastry scrolls I made a couple of years ago.
2 Ingredient Dough
Another method I sometimes use is the greek yoghurt, 2 ingredient dough. This is great because the dough doesn’t require rising time. I also use this recipe to make flat bread (which is great for the lunch box too). I’ve done this in both the Thermomix and by hand and I’ve detailed how below.
2 Cups SR Flour (300 grams)
1 Cup Greek Yoghurt (280 grams)
Filling ingredients (I used ham & mustard this time)
Dough Method – Thermomix
1. Weigh out all ingredients into bowl.
2. Slowly turn to speed 6 for 12 seconds until dough is formed.
3. Lock lid and set timer to 1.5 minutes, kneed option.
4. Remove dough from the Thermomix bowl and place on to a floured board or Thermomix mat.
5. Kneed into a ball. Add a little extra flour when kneading if needed.
Dough Method – Regular
1. Place yoghurt & 1 cup of SR flour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix until combined (use your hands when the mixture is too thick to stir).
3. Add the rest of the flour, a little bit at a time, until you have formed a dough ball.
4. Knead for about 5 minutes on a floured board or bench.
You can fill the scrolls with anything you like! Great combinations are:
- bacon & cheese
- corn & cheese
- spinach & feta
- tomato sauce & cheese
- vegemite & cheese
- ham & mustard
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Roll out dough into a rough rectangle shape at about 1.5 cm thick. As you can see (pictured below) I don’t worry about making it perfect.
3. Add desired ingredients. I spread on mustard before laying with ham.
4. Roll up into a log.
5. Cut into sections on a board. Depending on the fillings, I cut the log into approximately 9 portions of about 3 cm thick. I have done it both thicker and thinner than this before too so again, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
6. Lay on a tray lined with baking paper.
7. Cook in an 180°C oven for about 20 minutes, until golden.
I still prefer my Pizza Scroll recipe dough over this one, but I still use this method often because it’s so simple and easy.
Lunch box idea
- Ham & Mustard Scroll
- Boiled Egg
- Blueberry muffin
- Carrot Sticks