Grandma’s Chicken Stew
I am always on the lookout for recipes that are simple to make, affordable, delicious and most importantly – my family will eat. This one ticks all the boxes and is one that I make regularly. It is a favourite recipe of my 81 year old grandma that has stood the test of time.
It can be made in the oven, stove top or even in the slow cooker and is great served with rice to soak up all the delicious juices. I hope you enjoy it.
Amanda (Simple home cook)
2 ½ cups chicken stock
2 Tbspn tomato paste
1 kg chicken thigh fillets
800g pumpkin, peeled
1 small sweet potato, peeled
1 onion, sliced
220g tin peas, drained
½ tsp mixed herbs
Oven (cooking time: 1 hr )
1. Preheat oven to 200oC.
2. Dice pumpkin, potato & sweet potato into chunks approx 6cm. Add them to a large baking dish. Add chicken, onion & peas. Sprinkle over herbs.
3. In a jug, add stock & tomato paste. Stir to combine & pour over chicken & veges.
4. Cover & cook for 30 mins. Uncover & cook for a further 30 mins or until chicken is cooked through & vegetables are tender.
Stove top (cooking time: 35 minutes)
1. In a very large frypan, add chicken & brown over high heat.
2. Dice pumpkin, potatoes & sweet potato into chunks approx 6cm. Add to the frypan together with onion, peas & herbs.
3. In a jug, add stock & tomato paste. Pour into pan.
4. Cover & gentle boil for 30 mins or until chicken is cooked through & veges are tender.
- If making ahead, cook rice at the same time as making the stew.
- Store both in the fridge & reheat at meal time.
- In fridge, covered or in airtight container for up to 3 days.