You can thank Amanda from Simple home cook for another brilliant recipe to help you with the dinner time madness this week. Here is it.
Beef stroganoff is a family favourite recipe that many people make using a recipe base from a packet. Well… you don’t have to do that anymore with this simple and absolutely delicious recipe. You probably have all these ingredients ready to go so add it to your menu list this week and I promise, you will never cook from a packet again.
Just a note – the key to getting your meat juicy & tender is to use a cut such as rump steak, toss it in flour and brown it over high heat in batches. Do not throw all your meat into the pan at once as it will start to boil and become tough. Buying rump steak and slicing it yourself is a much cheaper option than buying beef strips.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Prep & cooking time: 30 mins
2 Tbspn olive oil
650g rump steak, thinly sliced
2 Tbspn flour
1 large onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
300g button mushrooms, sliced
Salt & pepper
1 cup beef stock
2 Tbspn tomato paste
150ml sour cream (¾ cup)
2 tsp paprika
- Toss the steak in the flour to coat it. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Brown steak in 2 batches & remove from pan. Set aside. Do not take a short cut here. It is really important that you brown the meat in 2 batches as if you put all the meat in the frying pan at one time, it will start to stew and become tough.
- Sauté onion. Add garlic & mushrooms & cook over medium heat for 2 mins.
- Add salt, pepper, stock, tomato paste & paprika. Stir to combine & bring to the boil.
- Return meat to the pan. Simmer for 10 mins or until meat is tender.
- Remove from heat & stir in sour cream.
- Serve with noodles or steamed rice.