I adore the concept behind the edutainment (entertainment and education) facility KidZania, because it’s about harnessing what children do naturally: role-playing. I know my children would be fully engrossed in this place. Not just entertained, but engaged. And that is why I wanted to write an entire post about it.
What is Kidzania?
Essentially, KidZania is a self-contained city that’s run by kids! Located in The Dubai Mall, children can explore and participate within this fully functioning city by performing a wide variety of professions, earning a wage and then using their earnings at various establishments throughout the city.
How it works
- Kids check in at the KidZania International Airport.
- Each child receives a set amount of kidZo, the local currency. They also receive a working debit card to be used at any of the city’s ATMs. The first stop in the center is the bank where the children invest their money.
- Then, with the debit card, kids can withdraw kidZos from their account to play or shop, or they can save their kidZos for future visits. When they run out of money, the kids need to find a job so they can use the city facilities fully.
- On hand at all times are Zupervisors, who are trained adults there to support and guide the kids in their chosen profession.
A cheque, ATM card and KidZo cash
I walked inside this child-sized city and was blown away! An ambulance whizzed by and stopped along the street, where I watched one of the kids donned in a white coat, help another child with “a broken arm” before the patient was whisked away.
The city is built two-thirds normal size so everything is just the right size for kids. Like any major city, KidZania has a hospital, fire station, beauty salon, bank, radio station, supermarket, television station, pizzeria, theater, and much more.
Child-Sized City for Kids
Zupervisors (trained adults) are there at all times to support and guide the kids in their chosen profession
I couldn’t resist!
All the services you would expect to in a regular city
Available professions include:
- Actor, Actress
- Airline stewardess
- Bakery Clerk
- Biscuit Manufacturer
- Cabin Crew
- Car Sales Person
- Comic Book Artist
- Contact Centre Employee
- Construction worker
- Customs Inspector
- Fashion Model
- Hamburger Chef
- House Painter
- Installation Engineer
- Jewellery Designer
- Painter (house)
- Photo Editor
- Pizza Chef
- Police Detective
- Race Car Driver
- Radio Host
- Radio Presenter
- TV cameraman
So there’s sure to be something to engage all types of kids.
Why it’s awesome for kids
?The scope and attention to detail in this kid-sized world is a wonder. It’s just so cool! KidZania is not just a world devoted purely to entertainment; it’s about learning through play. Through role-play, children can gain a better understanding of how the world works while developing valuable skills and insights.
What parents do?
KidZania is the children’s domain… so what do parents do while the kids are at work? There are a few options:
- Tag along and watch their children (from outside the respective establishments)
- Relax at the dedicated Parent’s Lounge
- Check in their kids with an ID bracelet (available for children taller than 120cm) and leave the children and come back later.
KidZania is an intricate place but it’s pretty simple really: kids pick an occupation, learn about their job, put on a uniform, and start earning and spending their KidZos, all the while having a BLAST!