This pull apart certainly beats the old vegemite sandwich! The dough is super easy to make and doesn’t require any beaters, yeast or rising time. You can also change the filling and add whatever you like such as tomato paste, bacon, olives, capsicum, etc. It is a favourite is our house and a good one for lunch boxes the next day.
Vegemite & cheese pull apart
3 cups self-raising flour
2 cups natural Greek yoghurt
2 Tbspn vegemite
2 cups grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a large bowl, add flour and yoghurt. Mix with a spoon to combine then turn out onto a floured surface and bring together with your hands.
- Roll out dough to a large rectangle approx. ½ cm thick.
- Spread vegemite all over the rectangle (adjust the quantity to suit your taste). You may want to heat vegemite for 20 seconds in the microwave to make spreading easier. Cover with cheese.
- Roll up the long end of the rectangle to form a large sausage. Cut into pieces approx. 4 cm thick.
- Instead of placing face up on a tray (like normal scrolls), place them in a lined or greased springform cake tin. TIP – place the larger ones on the outside and the smaller ones in the middle. Squash them in together like shown in the picture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 mins. Check the middle ones to make sure they are cooked. Allow to cook for 5 mins before removing from tin. Eat while warm.