This year is a bit different for me, and I’ve been making more of an effort with breakfast for the kids. An easy recipe I whip up is the classic French toast. I’ve developed a process for making this so it’s quick and easy.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (not essence)
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 4-6 slices bread
- Butter for cooking and serving
This recipe is easy to double if I’m doing a heap.
1. I use a shallow rectangle baking dish to both mix the ingredients and coat the bread. I also enjoy using cream instead of milk (it decadent and I don’t always do it with cream, milk works well too).
2. Add cream or milk, then vanilla, then cinnamon, then egg.
3. Use a fork to whisk it all together well.
4. Move the dish next to the stove top.
5. Dip both sides of a piece of toast into the mixture.
6. Add chunks of butter to a frypan, set to medium heat.
7. Place wet bread into frypan and cook both sides until golden. Repeat the process with bread until all the mixture is used up.
8. Serve with butter chunks and maple syrup.