I am having a nostalgic month in June. The recipe I posted last week (porcupine meatballs) bought me back to my childhood as does this one. I remember buying these from the bakery with pink icing and coconut sprinkled on them but we called them coffee rolls instead.
I have made these quite a few times with my children and they love them. They are especially great soon after icing them and are best eaten the same day as baking. Due to the lack of preservatives, they don’t last long which is a good excuse to devour them straight away!
I hope you enjoy them,
Amanda (Simple home cook & Aldi home cook)
Iced finger buns
- 3 cups bakers flour
- 4 tsp dried yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 Tbspn caster sugar
- 1 Tbspn oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 Tbspn butter, softened
- 1 Tbspn hot water
- Pink food colouring (optional)
- Sprinkles or coconut (optional)
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and knead with the dough hooks of an electric mixture until elastic. You can also use a thermomix in this step. Knead for 2 mins in Thermomix.
- Turn dough out onto a bench and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape the pieces into 8 small and equal shaped rolls.
- Place on lined baking tray approx. 2cm apart. I turn my oven onto low for a few minutes to generate some heat then turn it off. This creates a warm space to leave your tray. Place your tray in the oven (turned off) and leave for 40 mins to 1 hr to allow the dough to rise.
- Once the dough has risen, turn on the oven to 200 degrees fan forced. Leave the dough in the oven while it is preheating. After 15 mins (from the time you turned the oven on) check the buns and if they are cooked through and golden, remove the buns and allow to cool on a wire rack. The oven may not have even reached 200 degrees yet but that is ok.
- Make the icing by combining icing sugar, butter and hot water. Add food colouring if using. Stir until combined and thick. Spread over cooled buns and top with sprinkles or coconut.
CorinaNovember 5, 2015 at 2:50 pm
I made these with my thermi, they are delicious! Extended family were here and I didn’t even get a chance to ice them – they were eaten straight from the oven with butter and jam!!!
TaraMarch 18, 2022 at 10:46 am
Hi, I’m new to Thermomix, quick question how did you adopt this recipe in the thermi? Did you just wing it?
DebbieSeptember 10, 2019 at 11:24 pm
We’re in Boston. My hub is from Adelaide, he’s always asking for finger buns. I thought they were too complicated. Thanks for saving me!
Kelly - Be A Fun MumSeptember 12, 2019 at 11:09 am
Ha! You’re welcome! Hope he enjoys!
StephanieFebruary 18, 2020 at 8:00 am
Celsius or Fahrenheit??
Kelly - Be A Fun MumFebruary 18, 2020 at 4:15 pm