Back to school this week for my kids, and today I am sharing a great lunchbox recipe that I hope your kids will enjoy. Mine sure did but I didn’t tell them about the chickpeas until they committed to liking them.
Make sure you process the chickpeas very finely, otherwise you might have a battle on your hands if you have a fussy eater. You can’t taste the chickpeas though and it is a great way to get some extra goodness into your kids without them knowing.
I hope your first week back to school is a good one.
Amanda (Simple Home Cook)
Chocolate and Chickpea Brownies
- 400g can chickpeas
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100g butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Line a slice tin (18cm x 28cm) with baking paper.
- Process chickpeas in a food processor or blender until it is pureed and smooth. You can also have it chunky if you prefer.
- In a large bowl, add butter and break up the chocolate. Melt in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring each time until melted together. Take care not to burn the chocolate. Once melted, stir together until combined.
- Add chickpeas, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, salt, coconut & bicarb soda. Stir together until combined. Pour into slice tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 – 30 mins. Place in fridge to harden, then slice into pieces. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Post written by Amanda Arnold
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. I have a facebook page called ‘Simple home cook’ where I share my recipes which will get you through your busy week that won’t break your budget. Please head over and check out my FB pages Simple home cook and ALDI home cook.