I have been making this recipe for many years now and when I released my cookbook back in 2013, this was the most popular recipe. Lots of people said it tastes just like spaghetti and meatballs. It is a great meal to make ahead of time and keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook it. Please take note of the long cooking time – 1hr 15 mins. Don’t leave it too late before you decide to place it in the oven or you might not be eating dinner until 8pm!
Amanda (Simple home cook)
Rolled meatloaf with ham, cheese & spinach
1kg lean beef mince
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ Tbspn fresh/dried parsley
¾ cup breadcrumbs
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 cups grated cheese
500g bottled pasta sauce
½ cup water
- Place a large sheet of aluminium foil on bench.
- In a large bowl, combine mince, garlic, parsley, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt & pepper. Mix with hands until well combined.
- Tip mince onto foil & shape into a large rectangle, approx 1.5 cm thick.
- Spread the ham, cheese & spinach over the rectangle, leaving 2 cm around the edge with no topping.
- Taking the long edge of the foil, tightly roll the meatloaf away from you, tucking in cheese & spinach as you go. Pull back the foil as you roll. Seal the ends of the mince so the filling doesn’t leak out.
- Wrap the entire loaf in foil & refrigerate until required.
- Preheat oven to 180o Place the loaf (wrapped in foil) into a large baking dish.
- Bake, covered for 1 hr, then open the foil & pour approx. ½ of the pasta sauce over the meatloaf. Add ½ cup water to the bottle of sauce, shake to mix with remaining sauce in bottle. Pour this over meatloaf also. Bake, uncovered for a further 15 mins.
Post written by Amanda Arnold
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. I have a facebook page called ‘Simple home cook’ where I share my recipes which will get you through your busy week that won’t break your budget. Please head over and check out my FB pages Simple home cook and ALDI home cook.