This is a HUGE meal that is perfect for a large family, leftovers or for freezing. You can make it with any mince your family prefer but I like it with pork mince since we don’t eat a lot of pork in our house. My pre-requisite is that any meal that I make for my family must be easy and this one fits right in. If you are cooking the entire batch of meatballs (and there will be a lot of them), you will have to cook them in 2 lots so allow a bit of extra time.
I love that this makes a very large meal as I like having leftovers. My kids really enjoy it and are happy to have it again the next night which means I don’t have to cook! Serve with spaghetti or cous cous for something different.
Amanda (Simple home cook)
Cheesy meatballs in tomato sauce
- 1 kg mince – pork, beef or veal
- 1 small onion, very finely diced
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g cream cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Oil for frying
- 2 x 400g tins crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp oregano
- In a large bowl, add mince, onion, breadcrumbs, eggs, garlic and cream cheese. Add salt & pepper to taste. Mix with your hands until well combined.
- In a large frying pan over high heat, add oil. Form the mixture into small balls and add to the frypan. Fry for 15 mins or until cooked through. Turn during cooking. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the balls. This is a huge mixture so you will need to fry in 2 batches. Alternatively, you can cook half of the mixture now and freeze half for another meal.
- In a large jug, add tomatoes, stock, sugar, tomato paste & oregano. Stir to combine and pour over cooked meatballs.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to medium heat. Cook, uncovered for 15 mins. Serve with cous cous or spaghetti.
- Serve and enjoy!
Post written by Amanda Arnold
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. I have a facebook page called ‘Simple home cook’ where I share my recipes which will get you through your busy week that won’t break your budget. Please head over and check out my FB pages ‘Simple home cook’ and ‘ALDI home cook’.