This Christmas, Santa can arrive the traditional way, through this simple faux fireplace, made out of cardboard boxes. It is very easy to assemble, and the end result is magical! It’s a simple way to make the house festive and fun.
- five rectangular cardboard boxes, evenly sized
- paint, any colour
- packing tape (strong tape)
- items to decorate the fireplace
1. Assemble your boxes into a fireplace shape. Try to choose boxes with minimal printing.
Tips for sourcing/collecting boxes:
– buy what sized boxes you want from a packing/storage store (it would still be a cheap project) depending on how tall you want the fireplace to be
– ask a department/hardware/white goods store if they have boxes you can use
– collect your own boxes.
– it works best if the boxes are the same size. The featured display uses 5 boxes of the same size.
2. Remove any excess sticky tape or anything else attached to the boxes.
3. Sticky tape the boxes together with strong tape so that they will hold their shape when stood up.
4. Lay down newspaper on the ground and paint your boxes in a well ventilated area. Leave to dry. You may need a few coats of paint.
5. Display your fireplace, decorating with Christmas accessories.
- Use fabric to create a runner across the top of the fireplace, and to cover any joins in the boxes.
- Decorate with a Christmas garland, available from Spotlight stores.
- Place a wooden crate (available from Ikea – KNAGGLIG Pine Box) underneath the fireplace, and fill with branches.
- Light up your fireplace at night with LED Christmas lights and battery operated candles.
- Get the kids involved in the creation and decoration of your family fireplace.
For more Christmas craft ideas, check out these tutorials.