Amanda from ‘Simple Home Cook’ here! If you are looking for some low carbohydrate dinners to add into your menu for the week, this is a great option.
The sauce is quick to make and the zucchini noodles are even quicker – a whole lot quicker than boiling pasta for 15 mins. Better still, you can make the sauces ahead of time and keep them in the fridge so when you are short on time, simply reheat the sauce and add them to your noodles for a dinner ready in 5 mins.
The vegetable spiral machines are not expensive to buy and are a great investment if you plan on trying some low carb meals. I found mine at Kmart for $15 and it is perfect for what I need.
The zucchini doesn’t carry a lot of flavour so when the sauce is added, it really does taste just like spaghetti. This meal is versatile and you can add whichever sauce you prefer. I like adding both as it tastes like a carb free lasagne – really!
Amanda (Simple home cook)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 500g minced lamb or beef
- 500g bottle pasta sauce
- 1 Tbspn chopped parsley
- 50g butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbspn plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 4 large zucchini
- In a frypan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic until soft.
- Add mince and cook until brown.
- Stir in pasta sauce and parsley. Simmer for 15 mins.
In the meantime, make the cheese sauce.
- In a large microwave bowl, melt butter on high for 30 secs.
- Whisk in flour and milk and microwave on high for 3 mins. Whisk until sauce thickens. Whisk in salt & grated cheese. Set aside.
- Using a vege spiral machine, turn your zucchini into noodles (ie. zoodles). It is a very simple process and the kids love getting involved. I mentioned earlier that I picked up my vege spiral from Kmart for $15 and it works a treat. Place the zoodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. You can also serve the zoodles raw if you like.
- Place zoodles in serving bowls topped with the meat sauce and white sauce.
Post written by Amanda Arnold
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. I have a facebook page called ‘Simple home cook’ where I share my recipes which will get you through your busy week that won’t break your budget. Please head over and check out my FB pages ‘Simple home cook’ and ‘ALDI home cook’.