Our family love the minions – Bob, Stuart, Kevin especially. They are funny and cute and make fantastic decorations for cupcakes. Decorating your cupcakes as minions is so simple and doesn’t take much longer than it normally would. I made these without telling the kids and they were puzzled while they were watching me in the kitchen. As soon as I finished the first one they went crazy and wanted to join in decorating.
Simple but very effective. I’ll be definitely making these for my son’s 6th birthday coming up.
Amanda (Simple home cook)
You can use whatever cupcake recipe you like. I used a basic vanilla one:
- 150g butter, softened
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 + 2/3 cups plain flour, sifted
- ¼ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Beat butter and sugar until whipped and white.
- Add all other ingredients and beat until combined and smooth
- Spoon into blue cupcake cases until half full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 mins. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Butter cream or icing tinted yellow. Make sure you make it bright yellow as it won’t have the same effect if the colour is light.
- White marshmallows
- Licorice strap
- Black icing pen
- Spread the yellow icing onto the cupcakes.
- Cut the marshmallows in half so they don’t stick up so much. Stick onto the icing.
- Cut small pieces of licorice strap and place on either side of the marshmallow.
- Using some left over icing, stick on M&M’s for the eyeballs.
- Using the writing pen, draw on your facial expressions.
Then sit back and watch the kids devour them.
Post written by Amanda Arnold
My name is Amanda and I am passionate about simple, quick and affordable recipes that anyone can make. I have a new cookbook called ‘Simple home cook – back for seconds’. To check it out, please visit www.simplehomecook.com.au