I get excited every year for Mother’s Day. Despite the commercialness of it all, I love when my girls bring a handmade card or craft that they put a lot of effort to give to me on Mother’s Day. It’s their beautiful way of appreciating me, and I love their creativity.
Sometimes Mother’s Day can be a day of surprises. Take for example the gift my daughter bought for me from the school Mother’s Day store last year. I got given a hand-painted wine glass with big eyeballs. Except they weren’t big eyeballs.
The necklace and handmade bookmark that came with the wineglass were very much treasured from last year. I can’t wait to see what craft my girls get up to this year.
With that in mind, if you’re looking for an easy Mother’s Day craft that looks good and mum will love to wear, you can’t go past these easy felt flower brooches. Even as I type, I’m wearing my new brooch. I love it that much!
My local craft store supplies felt flower shapes and plain felt sheets. If you can’t find felt flowers, enlarge the stencil below in a word document.
- Felt flowers
- Felt sheets
- Pom Pom
- Pom Pom lining
- Craft Glue
- Flower Stencil
- Large Safety Pins
1. Print off this stencil and cut out the flower. Trace around the flower on the yellow felt.
2. Glue the yellow felt flower onto the pink felt flower.
3. Glue the black pompom trim in the middle. The glue can be messy, but any remnants will dry clear. Best to wipe them away when you see them though.
4. Glue the purple pompom in the middle of the trim.
5. Cut some of the black felt and glue this over the safety pin to attach the pin to the flower to create the brooch.
6. Your brooch is ready to wear or be given as a gift.
You can make a few brooches for all the grandmas or mum-figures in your child’s life.