Brought to you by SodaStream
Make Drinking Water Fun with SodaStream
Water is the drink of choice in our household. We use a filter which means our family enjoys lovely water straight from the tap. If I’m craving something different, I like to carbonate the water. I’ve used a SodaStream for many years now, and it makes drinking water fun because you can flavour it however you like to individual tastes. The kids love it too, and I can control the flavours and sugar content in the drink which is important to me.
Pictured below is the new SodaStream Power; its sleek and modern design allows the machine to fit nicely on our kitchen bench and it’s easy to turn tap water into sparkling water with the press of a button.
Each SodaStream comes with a reusable BPA Free bottle that lasts three years. The average Australian family uses over 2,000 bottles and cans over a three-year period, and this can be minimised by making drinks at home, saving both money and environmental impacts. I also appreciate how SodaStream have thought about the refillable gas cylinders (which creates the bubbles) and offer an easy exchange process at various retailers around Australia at a discounted price. It’s similar to the exchange process of LPG gas cylinders for the BBQ.
These are fabulous benefits, but what I enjoy most about having the machine sitting on my kitchen bench is it’s simple and fun. The machine makes it easy to keep my family hydrated with a lemon twist sparkling water or for special occasions, celebrating with a special sweet drink. Below are some other ways to use the SodaStream to add value to family life:
- Create a mocktail menu for a Family Fun Night and the kids can ‘order’ what they like.
- Experiment with cocktail recipes for adults.
- Add lemon and a sprig of mint to a drink bottle. This is great for the gym.
- If you struggle to drink enough water during the day, have a bottle of sparkling water ready in the fridge. It’s enjoyable to drink so you tend to drink more.
- Do a Make-Your-Own-Mix activity. Provide a variety of ingredients and everyone in the family can make their own. Kids love this and can come up with some crazy combinations! Just make sure you add the ingredients to the glass and the sparkling water on top (don’t add fruit to your soda stream bottle!). Below are some ingredient ideas:
- Sparkling water
- Cordial (different flavours)
- Tinned fruit salad
- Crushed watermelon
- Spices/Herbs (mint, lavender, fresh ginger, vanilla)
- Flavoured drink syrups
- Puree (mango, strawberry, peach, passionfruit)
- Crushed ice
Make Your Own Mix Activity
Set up with a variety of different ingredients and kids can create their own special drink. Simply add ingredients desired to a glass, add sparkling water and mix! This is inspired by a Halo-halo (which mean mix-mix) drink Kelly enjoyed in the Philippines and you can read more about it here.
I’ll share two of my recent recipe creations if you want somewhere to start; part of the fun of having a SodaStream is experimenting yourself and coming up with new combinations the family loves.
1. Lime and Raspberry Refresher
The first recipe is a hydrating lime and raspberry sparkling water which looks oh-so-festive and fun. My girls love this drink because the mix of lime and raspberries creates a sweet citrus flavour and there’s no added sugar in this mix.
Lime and Raspberry Refresher
- Juice of 3 Limes (extra for a garnish)
- 1 cup of raspberries
- 1 Bottle SodaStream Sparkling Water
- Carbonate chilled still water using the SodaStream Sparking Water Maker.
- Squeeze the juice from 3 limes.
- Add the juice to 1 Bottle of SodaStream Sparkling Water.
- Prepare glasses and add ice and 4-5 raspberries. It’s ok if they break apart.
- Pour the lime infused SodaStream Sparkling water over the ice and raspberries.
- Add more raspberries for a garnish.
Note: You can also serve this drink in a jug.
2. Ginger Ninja Mocktail – With Chilli, Mint and Lime
My second recipe is a mocktail that is better suited to adult tastes, but my girls didn’t mind taking a sip. This drink has a hint of heat which adds to the flavour. Make sure all seeds are removed from the chilies before placing them in the water. It’s a great drink to serve during the colder autumn and winter months.
Ginger Ninja Mocktail – With Chilli, Mint and Lime
Serves 2 – 4
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, diced
- ½ Red Chilli, chopped with seeds removed
- 1/3 Cup Ginger Cordial ( I used Bickfords)
- Sprigs of mint for garnish
- 1 lime
- 1 Bottle SodaStream Sparkling Water
- Carbonate chilled still water using a SodaStream Sparkling Water maker.
- Add ginger cordial, fresh ginger, chilli and mint to bottle of SodaStream Sparkling Water.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 2 hours so the flavours can infuse.
- When ready to serve, add ice to the glasses.
- Squeeze half a lime to the infused soda water as this will bring out the extra flavours.
- Pour the infused soda water over the ice and garnish with lime and mint.
Creating naturally flavoured sparkling water at home makes entertaining a breeze and gives our family a healthy drink, that doesn’t make us feel like we’re missing out. If your family would enjoy a SodaStream too, enter the giveaway; more details below.
SodaStream is offering one Be a Fun Mum family a Sparkling Water Maker worth $249. All you need to do to enter is write in the comments below what flavour you would add to your sparkling water.
Giveaway Terms and Conditions
**Giveaway Ended – Congratulations Anni Graham**
- To enter, comment on this post answering the question.
- You must be an Australian resident older than 18 years of age to enter.
- You must provide a valid email address and entries are limited to one per household.
- Entries close Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 11:59pm Australian EST.
- Entries will be judged on merit and creativity.
- One winner will each receive a SodaStream machine valued at approximately $249.
- The winner will be contacted by email and announced on this post when confirmed.
- The winner must claim the prize within two days or the prize will be re-drawn.
- The winner agrees to have their contact details passed on to the appropriate agency or brand representative to organise the prize postage.
Nicole KentApril 14, 2017 at 10:02 am
I’d make a lemon, basil and mint combination to detox my body from all of those summer holiday wines! It would be delicious and my body would appreciate it.
Julia MasonApril 14, 2017 at 11:38 am
I’d love to savor a magic mango coconut mix, it sounds and smells like an escape to a tropical island!
Renee BallantyneApril 14, 2017 at 11:41 am
My kids are mad about cucumber at the moment so cucumber strawberry and mint
Jo JonesApril 14, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Our lime tree is producing a lot of fruit at the moment so I’d make something with those. I might even add the Your Inspiration At Home mojito aromatic sugar that I’ve got and never known what to use it in!
ErnApril 14, 2017 at 3:10 pm
Citrus Bomb of flavour, making and maxing the most out of our lemon, lime, orange, mandarin and grapefruit tree’s that seem to be permanently laden with fruit. And the neighbours mint is growing up and under our side of the fence, maybe I’ll add a bit of that in too.
ross powellApril 14, 2017 at 3:18 pm
its perfectly clear, GINGER BEER,perfect in spiders, good cheer,always a favourite taste just right
melissa clarkApril 14, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Orange and ginger
Charlotte BApril 15, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Raspberry and lemon.
Ryan HApril 15, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Fig and rosemary
Gabriella HApril 15, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Grape and vanilla
Benjamin TraviaApril 15, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Ginger, lemon and mint because I want a rainbow of colours and a full spectrum of experiences. Ginger, for the kick, lemon for the zing, mint for the taste.
MickApril 15, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Blood Orange for a refreshing drink that looks amazing
fiona rawApril 16, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Definitely Lemon – we have a bountiful Lemon tree, plus the Vitamin C is so good for you. I’d use your Lime and Raspberry refresher recipe and substitute the Lime for Lemon and use our own home grown raspberries too!
Helga GrenkowitzApril 16, 2017 at 9:58 pm
I love the taste of mandarin, lime and bitters 🙂
IrenaApril 16, 2017 at 11:37 pm
I would add lemon and orange 🙂
Karla OleinikoffApril 17, 2017 at 8:43 pm
I would add lemon and lime for a yummy, citrus flavor, with a bit of mint chucked in. Delicious!
JeanieApril 17, 2017 at 11:59 pm
I’d love to bring the exquisite aromas and flavours of italy into my world. So it’s Tomato and Basil Sparkling Water I’d first make with a Sodastream!
As the saying goes…
Mangia Bene, Ridi Spesso, Ama Molto
Or Eat Well, Laugh Often, Love Much and let’s add Drink Water, Amazing Water!
Cin Cin ?
Eva KiralyApril 18, 2017 at 1:50 pm
I’d love to make a Mango and Mint, it’d have that tropical taste that’s really refreshing!
AdrienneApril 18, 2017 at 3:33 pm
Lemon and fresh ginger!
MichelleApril 18, 2017 at 4:09 pm
I love refreshing lemon.
MaraApril 18, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Pear and Thyme so I can enjoy all the time that I have on my hand
RebeccaApril 18, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Pomegranate juice, lime and mint – it’s delicious on it’s own but that fizz will just pep it right up!
AlisonApril 18, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Lemon Myrtle (a delectable Australian Native) & Ginger, would be divine.
KateApril 18, 2017 at 8:52 pm
The lime and raspberry sounds divine!
But I think my lot would add passionfruit flavouring as we are all mad for it at the moment!
cleoApril 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Fusion of tropical mixed berries and peach -fruit explosion bursting with sweet and refreshing fruity flavours sending rhythms to my heart, it’s colour to my mind.
kate jenningsApril 18, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Wow, i love the sleek new design!! It looks amazing and would be fabulous sitting on the kitchen bench. I have been thinking of getting a soda stream for ages because my kids don’t get to drink soft drinks or usually even juice (as I am a mean health conscious mum, haha) so being able to make special, fancy and fun drinks at home that are still HEALTHY would be wonderful (and score me major points!). I would make a strawberry, mint and ginger soda drink, with pomegranate sprinkled in just for pops of fun 🙂
Belinda KingApril 19, 2017 at 8:58 am
For me you can’t go past soda and lime, perhaps with a sneaky splosh of vodka if its wine o’clock time. For the kiddos, they love Ribena and soda, I love the beautiful colour. Fingers crossed, would look perfect in my kitchen. Thanks
ElyseApril 19, 2017 at 9:05 am
Some lemon and mint would go great for a refreshing afternoon drink!
Michelle MandersonApril 19, 2017 at 9:42 am
We keep it super simple here and just add a slice of orange!
Anni GrahamApril 19, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Flavours reminding me of my carefree ‘kiddyhood’ spent in the tropics – mango, lychee and starfruit (Carambola) with a slice of starfruit for decoration
Mary PrestonApril 19, 2017 at 2:16 pm
I’d go tart and tangy with orange and mango. Oranges literally grow on trees around here and the mango would remind me that winter does not last forever.
A tasty drink packed full of Vitamin C. Did I mention winter?
MaxabellaApril 19, 2017 at 2:21 pm
I’m inspired by all of your ideas. I would make a Soda Stream mixer with fresh apple and ginger slices with raspberries. Oh my, I think I’d love that!
Tara SquiresApril 19, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Definately mint and juice of a lime and juice of half a lemon. Yummy!
Jordie ChiangApril 19, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Lemon, orange and a huge sprinkling of love!!
Vyktoria ShorttApril 19, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Peach iced tea is my absolute favorite but I thought the last drink photo had a candy cane in it and that is stuck in my head now – I wonder what on earth that would taste like hmmmm
MelissaApril 19, 2017 at 8:29 pm
I love your idea of having a platter of lots of different fruits on it so family and guests can make their own unique and exciting brews, then share recipes.
I posed the question of what flavour we would love to add to our sparkling water to my family, and this was their ‘berry’ response:
* BLUEBERRY * From Master 4
* RASPBERRY * From Miss 6
*CHERRY * From Me!
These are all of our favourite fruits combined. I guess we would call our families sparkling water flizz our Berry-Cherry Bliss!
Jessica MaloneyApril 19, 2017 at 9:51 pm
Red creaming soda.
rick wulzApril 20, 2017 at 8:46 pm
cola cordial and vanilla ice cubes