One of my favourite biscuit recipes the kids LOVE are my chocolate freckle biscuits. Sometimes I cut the dough using a flower cookie cutter, placing the freckle in the middle. Other times I use a round cookie cutter for a simple and easy biscuit.
In some parts of the world, freckles are known as ‘chocolate jewels’, and the biscuits have been known to have this name, ‘chocolate jewel biscuits’. I’ve always grown up calling the chocolate buds covered in hundreds and thousands as chocolate freckles. Yet when I bought a packet of ‘freckles’ in Kmart, they were named chocolate jewels.
Since my chocolate freckle biscuits have been a hit with my kids, I reckon everyone will love them and I’ve changed it up to suit Easter, creating Chocolate Freckle Bunny Tail Biscuits.
Essentially, it’s the same recipe, but I’ve used a bunny cookie cutter and have placed the freckles as the bunny tails. They look really cute and they taste delicious.
Easter Chocolate Freckle Bunny Tail Biscuits
- 250grams of butter, softened
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 3 cups of plain flour
- packet of chocolate freckles (white or milk or mixed)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Beat the butter and caster sugar in an electric mixer until it becomes a creamy texture.
- Add the egg and vanilla essence, and mix until combined.
- Stir in the flour to create a soft dough.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes in cling wrap.
- Remove from the fridge and roll the chilled dough. Use a bunny cookie cutter to cut out the biscuits. Place on baking trays lined with baking paper.
- Add a chocolate freckle to make the bunny tail on the biscuit
- Place in oven for 10-15 minutes or until the biscuits are lightly brown.
- Allow to cool on trays.
My girls love the bunny biscuits just as much as my originals.
The biscuits would make a delicious accompaniment to an Easter morning tea with hot cross buns.
Or you could put some in a jar to give as gifts at Easter.
If you loved this recipe, check out this other Easter Recipe