I asked the BAFM Community about the favourite songs for young children. You can read the responses by clicking on the link. I have compiled the responses into a list of 40 songs kids love. Since working for Making Rainbows last year, I’ve had an increased appreciation for the importance of music for children’s development. It teaches them about the rhyme and rhythm of language and a fun way to build on their early literacy skills.
Incorporating music into your day doesn’t have to be a big activity. It can be as simple of putting music on in the car, background music while kids play at home, or having a little dance party. If you do want to get a bit more involved, you can use a washing basket as a boat or car and go along with the music, make some shakers by putting rice into a bottle or make a ribbon dance ring.
Below are some snaps from Making Rainbow classes and if you’re interested, you can find locations and times here.
The humble washing basket can be used for play.
Make a little ocean-themed sensory bowl and play Baby Shark.
Music is amazing, and there’s just so many songs to pick from. Not surprisingly, Baby Shark was a top response, but there are other songs you might like to consider too. Some of them are general nursery rhymes that are put to music, so the author is left blank and you can search for whatever version your child enjoys best.
40 Song Kids Love
- Apples and Bananas by Raffi
- The Ants go Marching
- Baby Shark by Pinkfong
- Big Red Car by The Wiggles
- Can’t Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake (Trolls soundtrack)
- The Children’s Marching Song (Nick Nack Paddy Wack) by Mitch Miller
- Do the Propeller by The Wiggles
- Dino Stomp by Playschool
- Dr Knickerbocker by The Wiggles
- Everywhere’s a Dancefloor by Justine Clarke
- Five Cheeky Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
- Five Little Ducks
- Five Little Speckled Frogs
- Fish & Mice by Holly Throsby
- Fruit Salad by The Wiggles
- Happy by Pharrell Williams (Despicable Me soundtrack)
- Hickory Dickory Dock
- Hot Dog Dance by Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Hushaby Mountain by Stacey Kent
- I Can Play Anything by Jay Laga’aia
- I like to Sing by Justine Clarke
- I’m Still Standing by Taron Egerton (Sing soundtrack)
- Incy Wincy Spider
- Let it Go by Idina Menzel (Frozen soundtrack)
- Little Day Out by Justine Clarke
- Jesus Loves Me by William B. Bradbury
- Make a Scary Face by Spotty Kites
- Mr Clickerty Cane
- My Lighthouse by Rend Collective
- Old Macdonald
- Open, Shut Them
- Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter, Paul and Mary
- Sleeping Bunnies
- Teddy Bear’s Picnic by Anne Murray
- This is the Way the Lady Rides
- This Little Teapot
- Watermelon by Justine Clarke
- We are the Dinosaurs by Laurie Berkner
- Wheels on the Bus
- You Are My Sunshine originally written by Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchel
It can be helpful to create a play list of different songs so you’re not left to songs on repeat a million times!