We made sponge cakes a few years ago, but needed something a bit different to feed our soft friends.
A few supplies bought from our local Woolworths and craft store allowed us to get creative making sponge and felt sushi for our tea party.
- Imaginative Play
- Creative Play
- Fine Motor Skills
- Building Skills
- Just for fun!
What you need
- Coloured felt in black, white, pink and green
- Bath sponges in white
- Cleaning sponges in orange and green
- Rubber bands or hair ties
- Your imagination
1. Cut the white bath sponge vertically to make a rice bed.
2. Cut the orange sponge into fingers and place on the rice bed
3. Cut a stripe of the black felt for the nori ribbon.
4. Assemble your sushi and then glue all the pieces to ensure the sushi is intact for kids play.
5. Cut the green sponge to create avocado sushi.
How to Make Sushi Rolls
Making the sushi rolls is a bit tricky. I used layers of felt for this but should have put a strip of green sponge in the middle for a tighter roll.
1. Cut your felt – Black felt should be 15.5cm x 17cm and all the white, green and pink felt should be 15cm x 9cm
2. Layer the felt on top of the black felt leaving a bottom border.
3. Roll tightly and glue as you go. Place rubber bands or hair ties around for the glue to dry
4. You will get glue on the outer black part of the roll. Just glue another cleaner piece of black felt around the outside of the roll.
5. Cut your roll in half using sharp material scissors.
All remnants of sponge and felt can be used to create more sushi. Let your kids use their imagination.
Once the glue dries on the sushi, your kids can play with and serve it to their soft animals.