Did you know that you can make cakes in a jaffle / toastie maker? ‘Why would I want to do that?’ you might ask. Well, why wouldn’t you? It’s one of the fastest ways to make a cake, you don’t have to use an oven, you can make a smaller amount rather than having to do a full tin, clean up is just a quick wipe with a wet cloth, it’s really fun to do with kids, and the results are surprisingly great!
This is one of the easiest cake recipes you will find. There are very few ingredients, most of which you will have in the pantry, and it’s even vegan-friendly! Plus you can use gluten-free self-raising flour to make it GF friendly too.
These cute cakes take less than fifteen minutes to make, including cooking time. There’s no beating, folding, tin-lining, or other fiddly parts. You just mix the ingredients together, then cook. They turn out moist and tasty, with some golden spots that add a lovely texture.
This recipe makes four cake triangles.
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1tsp coconut oil (for greasing)
- sprinkles for topping or icing sugar for dusting (if desired)
1. Add the flour, desiccated coconut, coconut milk and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients together until combined.
2. Lightly grease the inside of the toastie maker with coconut oil.
3. Pour or spoon the cake mixture into each section of the toastie maker. Top with sprinkles, if using.
4. Turn the toastie maker on and cook for approximately ten minutes, or until lightly browned and a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
5. Place onto a wire rack to cool. Then dust with icing sugar, if desired.
6. Best served fresh and still warm. Or let them cool then store in an airtight container.
These easy coconut cakes are great if you need to make something last minute when someone is coming over or you need to bring a plate to an event. They’re lovely as a simple dessert, or cut them in half to make a tasty treat for kids’ lunchboxes.
You can also use a toastie maker to create calzone pizzas like these Super Easy Toastie Maker Pizzas.