I’ve been having lots of fun with my jaffle / toastie maker lately — trying out new and unusual creations and seeing what works (or in some cases doesn’t work)! This recipe was definitely a winner.
I never realised before that you could cook pastry dishes in a toastie maker, but now that I know, there’s no turning back! Cheese and onion pasties are a firm favourite in my family, but I don’t often make them. I guess they sometimes seem fiddly and time consuming. But this recipe makes them so simple that even my kids can make them themselves (and they certainly eat them all themselves!). Nothing needs pre-cooking, the prep takes just minutes and you don’t even have to use the oven. This is definitely a recipe that we’ll come back to time and time again.
This recipe makes four ‘toasties’, which is eight pasty triangles.
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar or tasty cheese
- 1/2 medium-sized brown onion, finely diced
- 1tbsp olive oil (for greasing)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
1. Cut each sheet of puff pastry into quarters to form four squares.
2. Lightly grease the inside of the toastie maker with olive oil and add two squares on the bottom plates.
3. Mix the cheese, onion, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Then fill each pasty with the mixture.
4. Place another square of pastry on top of each and press down gently around the edges to seal.
5. Turn the toastie maker on and cook for approximately ten minutes, or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
6. Repeat Steps 2 to 5 with the remaining ingredients to make another batch.
7. Allow to cool before serving as the filling will be very hot when they first come out.
We love these pasties for the golden, light and flaky pastry and the gooey, cheesy filling. We hope you and your family will love them too! Try them for dinner and make sure you save any leftovers for lunchboxes the next day.
You could also try toastie-maker pasties with other delicious fillings. Check out this recipe for Beef & Vegetable Pasties, and this one for Chicken & Ham Pasties. Just follow the steps for making the fillings, then assemble as above (and avoid glazing with egg wash).
Want to try other easy recipes to make in your toastie maker? Be sure to check out these Super Easy Toastie Maker Pizzas and our vegan Coconut Jaffle Cakes.