These pizza scrolls are the best. The kids and the husband LOVE then. I’ve never had a fail batch. Sometimes, I do a double batch and pop them in the freezer for school lunches.
Pizza Scrolls Recipe
310 g Luke warm water (1 1/3 cups)
1 sachet dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
510 g plain flour (3 1/2 cups)
30 g extra virgin olive oil (3 tablespoons)
200 grams Bacon bits
Dough Method (for Thermomix)
1. Add ingredients into the bowl as listed.
2. Mix on 6 for 12 seconds.
3. Lock lid and knead for 1.5 minutes.
4. Place dough in a bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
Dough Method (other)
1. Add ingredients as listed into a bowl.
2. Mix with a spoon until just combined.
3. Use hands to form a ball and knead for about 10 minutes.
4. Allow to rise in a bowl for 30 minutes (cover with a clean tea towel).
5. Remove dough from the bowl and punch down.
6. Form dough into a ball and roll out in a rectangle shape (use a bit of extra flour on the bench or board before rolling out to avoid sticking). Tip: The rectangle doesn’t have to be a perfect shape — as you can see from the picture below.
7. Cover rectangle with tomato sauce and sprinkle on desired amount of cheese and bacon bits (or whatever filling you want, like vegemite and cheese).
8. Starting from the small side of the rectangle, roll up the dough until you get to the end.
9. Using a bread knife, cut the scroll into 9 even sections and place on a baking paper lined tray. (NOTE: do not cut on a Thermomix mat as it will damage it. I took the picture on the mat before transferring it to a board.)
10. Allow to rise for 15-20 minutes.
11. Place tray in a cold oven and turn to 180°C to 190°C and cook until golden (about 15-20 minutes).
** Do not cut on a Thermomix mat or it will be damaged. I just did this for demo purposes and transferred the roll to a board to cut.
- Pizza Scroll
- Broccoli with mayo dip
- Mini muffin
- Puree fruit (in a Sili Squeeze)
Lunch Box Tips (from dietitian)
Sarah CApril 9, 2018 at 12:39 pm
I have made these twice now. so perfect!
I let the dough prove for 30mins or longer as the recipe says after mixing dough.
But I don’t bother letting it prove for 15 mins after I’ve cut it up. Stick it in a cold oven at 180 degrees fan forced for 20 mins and its perfect everytime!
I’ve done tomato paste, basil pesto, parmesan, mozzarella and bacon as a filling.
and apple and cinnamon are in the oven now. should be delicious!
ImaneAugust 15, 2020 at 12:36 am
Hello ! Could you please tell me what changes did you make for the sweet version ? And is it the same time and temperature in the oven ? Thank you !
HollyJuly 10, 2018 at 2:16 pm
This recipe is totally amazing. I’ve tried plenty of scroll recipes. Thus one wins hands down. Thank you!
CarlieAugust 4, 2018 at 7:51 pm
Excited to try these tomorrow. It is tomato pasta sauce or actual tomato sauce you’ve used in this receipe.
Kelly - Be A Fun MumAugust 6, 2018 at 9:10 am
You can use either, but I tend to just use tomato sauce.
Natalie KohnAugust 16, 2018 at 1:27 am
Would you need to store these in the fridge if you were using ham and cheese as the filing?
Kelly - Be A Fun MumAugust 16, 2018 at 9:31 am
Hey Natalie. I always freeze my scrolls straight away and then put them in the lunch box from the freezer. This way they stay delicious and fresh (and are thawed by lunch time). I would do the same with hame and cheese. I think if you store them in the fridge, they will go stale pretty quickly but if you’re eating them the same day, should be okay.
Chris StanleyNovember 13, 2018 at 8:54 am
This is a fantastic food recipe, thank you for the brilliant write up.
ChristineNovember 28, 2018 at 8:12 pm
This recipe looks Yummy, looking forward to making it.
moniqueJuly 24, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Thanks for this recipe! I’m a terrible baker (just being honest) and have tried a number of scroll recipes which turned out tough and horrible. I am a decent pizza base maker and this is similar to what I do, so a plus. Also I like that I didn’t have to add a tonne of butter (besides not having any, the amount is not necessary) and massage it like in other recipes (I’m also lazy). I have already shared this with my sister, and am currently contemplating using the cream cheese, spinach, feta and hot smoked salmon that are calling me from the refrigerator. Seeya healthy diet lol.
Kelly - Be A Fun MumAugust 1, 2019 at 8:30 am
Glad to hear! Thanks for the feedback Monique.
EmmaJuly 28, 2019 at 8:52 pm
How many grams is in the packet of dry yeast?
Kelly - Be A Fun MumAugust 1, 2019 at 8:29 am
JasmineDecember 8, 2019 at 1:46 pm
Thank you very much for this recipe
I use a bread maker to make these on the dough setting
Another variation we make is spinach and feta.
500 g of frozen spinach, 200 g of feta, 100 g of tasty cheese, cut into small pieces mixed and spread on that though.
Kelly - Be A Fun MumDecember 8, 2019 at 3:49 pm
Thanks for the sharing that. That’s great.
SarahDecember 15, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Strike the flamin crows!!!! This recipe is to-die-for. I just ate one straight out of the oven and I am in heaven. I have never made scrolls as my bread recipes are usually a fail. I did my dough in the Kenwood Mix master. This is unbelievable. Thanks a million Kelly!!
Kelly - Be A Fun MumDecember 15, 2019 at 1:13 pm
YAY! Glad you enjoyed it. They are a bit addictive!
AlisonApril 14, 2020 at 8:42 pm
These pizza scrolls are amazing. So light and yummy. Not dense at all like other recipes. The whole family loved them!! I halved the recipe to make just enough for lunch
Kelly - Be A Fun MumApril 16, 2020 at 10:08 am
Yay! Thanks for the feedback!
EDJuly 23, 2021 at 11:12 am
Has anyone tried with whole meal flour? Would the consistency be different?
Basheera MohamedAugust 27, 2021 at 7:23 am
This pizza scrolls recipe is the best by far
Took it on a picnic – it was a hit
I give it 5stars
JazminDecember 1, 2021 at 9:11 am
Really delicious easy recipe. I used a homemade salsa as the base sauce. I prepared it ahead of time and stored it in the fridge overnight (uncooked scrolls), then cooked fresh for school lunches the following morning and this worked very well.